[slackintosh-users] cloning, DRI with ATI, serial devs ...

  • From: Ben Bauer <ben@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: slackintosh-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jun 2009 10:15:34 -0400

A few questions:

1) From the generic config it appears that SMP is NOT
enabled in the default kernel.  I am using a G4 Mirrored Door
(windtunnel) with 2x1.0 GHz proc.  Is it worth recompiling
with SMP given that video (NV18 GeForce4 MX AGP card) seems
to be the slowest part?

2) From an earlier post I learned that DRI with that video
card ((NV18 GeForce4 MX) is most likely more than a chore,
and maybe not possibe.  If I swap in a Radeon 7000, is DRI
more likely to work as expected?

3) I am using the machine for research and I want to clone it
to another box.  If I put a second drive in the working box
and do a

 (cd / && tar cf - . ) | (cd /otherdrive/ && tar xvfp -)
 what would I need to do on the second drive (with ypbin)
 BEFORE I move it to the new machine?

4) I am assumming that the onboard modem uses a serial line.
Is there a way to tap into this before the modem (and defeating
the modem) for use with a serial device?

5) When Slackware 13 comes out, will Slackintosh be updated?
(yes, I am ducking to avoid the glares of the developers)