[SKRIVA] Översatt (till eng) svensk sf/f

  • From: Ahrvid <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Sep 2014 13:04:00 +0200

(Har postat detta också på en utländsk lista, därav engelska. Tar gärna emot
kompletteringar och synpunkter. --AE)

During Loncon I came in contact with Barbara, who runs this site listing
foreign sf/f translated to English
(http://translatedsf.thierstein.net/tiki-index.php?page=Original%20Languages ).
John-Henri Holmberg also, on one of the panels, had a list of Swedish works
that had been translated. Neither listing seemed complete. I have taken some
time to ransack my memory and google around to add to the available info of
Swedish sf/f available in English.
  Below is what I have come up with this far. If anyone has additional info,
please let me know! My scribblings are in different formats, from different
sources. The above mentioned web site wants:

English title, Swedish title , translator,    published year (orig & transl),
format (hb, pb, tp, magazine, E-book), publisher, ISBN/BN ID /ASIN (hm, I don't
even know what "BN ID" or "ASIN" is...)

Already covered are:
Johannesson, Olof (pseud for Hannes Alfven)
Lundwall, Sam J
Mårtensson, Bertil
Martinson, Harry
Tidbeck, Karin

From JHH's list and not covered elsewhere:
Gun Brooke (pseud for Gun Irene Bach; writes in English): Supreme Constellation
series (Protector of the Realm, Rebel's Quest, Warrior's Valor, Pirate's
Fortune, Change Horizons; Bold Stroke Books, 2005-2013)
P C Jersild: The Animal Doctor (1973, orig Djurdoktorn), Pantheon, 1975; After
the Flood (1982, orig Efter floden), William Morrow 1986; A Living Soul (1982,
orig En levande själ), Norvik Press 1988.
Per Wahlöö: Murder on the 31st Floor (1964, orig Mord på 31:a våningen),
Michael Joseph 1966; The Generals (1965, orig Generalerna), Pantheon 1974; The
Steel Spring (1968, orig Stålsprånget), Michael Joseph 1970.
Peder Carlsson: "Gorgias" (short story in New Worlds 6, ed M Moorcock & C
Platt, Sphere 1973)
Stieg Larsson: "BraIn Power" (fanzine short story from his teens, in A Darker
Shade, ed John-Henri Holmberg, Head of Zeus 2013)
Sture Lönnerstrand: "Meeting Mr Ipusido" (short story in Science Fantasy No 21,
Feb 1957)

John Ajvide Lindqvist (mainly horror):
Books in English:
2004 – Låt den rätte komma in (Let the Right One In, 2007)
2005 – Hanteringen av odöda (Handling the Undead, 2009)
2006 – Pappersväggar (Paper walls, 2011)
2008 – Människohamn (Harbour, 2010)
2010 – Lilla stjärna (Little Star, 2011)
2011 – Tjärven (name of a lighthouse island)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Ajvide_Lindqvist has more info
(Barbara says she isn't interested to list horror, but I often find it
difficult to seperate horror from what we call fantasy.)

Karin Boye:
Kallocain (orig /same title/), 1940, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kallocain
(University of Wisconsin Press, 1966)

Björn Nyberg (with L Sprague de Camp): The Return of Conan (Gnome Press, 1957)
Conan the Avenger (collection) (1968) (with Robert E. Howard and L. Sprague de
Camp)
Conan the Swordsman (collection) (1978) (with L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter)
Sagas of Conan (collection) (2004) (with Lin Carter and L. Sprague de Camp)
Short stories:
 "The People of the Summit" (1970) (revised 1978, with L. Sprague de Camp)
 "The Star of Khorala" (1978) (with L. Sprague de Camp)
(I think he wrote in English. Wikipedia entry:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bj%C3%B6rn_Nyberg )

Jan Wallentin:
Strindberg's star (orig Strindbergs stjärna, 2010), translated by Rachel
Willson-Broyles, Viking Adult, 2012

Bertil Falk:
Has had quite a lot of short stories translated (usually by himself) to
English. Here's an article and bibliography:
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/bios/falk_bio.html
The majority will be crime stories, but some are sf (Bertil is an old sf fan) -
I can't say which stories, though.
But The Trepanned Reality (Den trepanerade verkligheten), Under the Green Sun
of Slormor (Under Slomors gröna sol) are sf (they are novels, I've read the
Swedish editions).
Gardar the Riddle-Solver is about a crime-solving viking (bordering fantasy
perhaps?) and about half a dozen are in Bewildering Stories.
Bertil can be asked, through bertilfalk@xxxxxxxxx

Claes Lundin:
Oxygen and Aromasia (orig Oxygen och Aromasia; translation Bertil Falk),
webzine Bewildering Stories, 2007 (a classic, utopian story from 1878),
http://www.bewilderingstories.com/bios/lundin_bio.html#biblio

KG Johansson:
MoodMind   ("Winner of the SKRIVA competition 2008, also published in an
American anthology, 3800 words, 21000 characters. Also available in Croatian")
By The Well  ("third in Mitrania's short storty competiton 2008, to come in
Maskinblod 3, 3500 words, 19000 characters")
The Angels of Quicksilver and Crystal   ("honourary mention in SKRIVA 2010; in
Maskinblod 1, 5500 words, 31500 characters")
Can't find more info, but the author may be reached at kgjo28@xxxxxxxxxxx
(I don't know if the last two stories have been published yet in English.)

Ahrvid Engholm:
"Clues" (orig "Ledtrådar", translated by Bertil Falk), anthologised in: Locked
Rooms and Open Spaces,  Battered Box, USA, 2006; Creatures of Light and
Darkness, SF Cirkeln, Denmark, 2007; Crime the Swedish Way, Novellmästarna,
Sweden, 2008.
"Falling Thermometer" (orig "Fallande termometer", translated by the author),
in the webzine Planetary Stories No 23 (2012),
http://www.planetarystories.com/thermometer.htm

Sven Christer Swahn:
Havsporten ["The Sea Gate"] (Stockholm, Sweden: Rabén & Sjögren, 1970) [hb/],
The Island Through the Gate (London: Macmillan, 1973) [trans by Patricia
Crampton of the above: hb/]
Skymningsgästerna (Stockholm, Sweden: Rabén & Sjögren, 1977) [hb/],  The
Twilight Visitors (London: Methuen, 1980) [trans by Joan Tate of the above:
hb/Yvonne Gilbert]
Article at http://sf-encyclopedia.com/entry/swahn_sven_christer

Öyvind Bernander, "A Plea for Mercy", in Writers of the Future collection 7,
1991 (yeah, that scientology infested publication...)

Some of Astrid Lindgren's work is fantasy (eg The Brothers Lionheart, Ronja the
Robber's Daughter and Mio, My Son), others are not. Article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrid_Lindgren

And We have Tove Jansson (Moomin), Finn who wrote in Swedish. Article:
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tove_Jansson

Children's literature needs consideration, by its very nature much of it is
fantasy. But eg Astrid Lindgren can be read by all ages (in my opinion).

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Follow @SFJournalen on Twitter for the latest news in
short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur