[SKRIVA] Ärkerasisten John W Campbell (VAR Fantasypriset Howard)

  • From: info <info@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2014 10:54:57 +0200

---- On Thu, 23 Oct 2014 07:59:35 +0200 Ahrvid  wrote ----
> Skall vi ändra på Howard-priset är det lika bra att göra något
> åt Hugo-priset också, http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/
> 2010/05/ralph-124c-41-a-century-later/ :
>"As late as 1963, one of Gernsback's last publications,
> Forecast, argued that "chemi-geneticists" could alter the
> enzymes of African-Americans, allowing them to have
> white children."

Du har ett *mycket* bättre exempel i den närmast helgonförklarade redaktören
John W Campbell, den som lade grunden för all modern sf efter Gernsbacks space
opera-period och förde fram snart sagt alla genrens stora namn inklusive
Asimov, Heinlein, Simak och bester. Så sent som 1968 supportrade han
sydstatsguvernören George Wallace som starkt förespråkade rassegregation. Och
citat wiki:

"As an example [...] Campbell "pointed out that the much-maligned 'peculiar
institution' of slavery in the American South had in fact provided the blacks
brought there with a higher standard of living than they had in Africa"

"In a June 1961 editorial called "Civil War Centennial," Campbell argued that
slavery had been a dominant form of human relationships for most of history and
that the present was unusual in that anti-slavery cultures dominated the
planet. He wrote, "It's my bet that the South would have been integrated by
1910. The job would have been done – and done right – half a century sooner,
with vastly less human misery, and with almost no bloodshed ... The only way
slavery has ever been ended, anywhere, is by introducing industry ... If a man
is a skilled and competent machinist – if the lathes work well under his hands
– the industrial management will be forced, to remain in business, to accept
that fact, whether the man be black, white, purple, or polka-dotted."

Per Michael Moorcock, "He also, when faced with the Watts riots of the
mid-sixties, seriously proposed and went on to proposing that there were
'natural' slaves who were unhappy if freed. I sat on a panel with him in 1965,
as he pointed out that the worker bee when unable to work dies of misery, that
the moujiks when freed went to their masters and begged to be enslaved again,
that the ideals of the anti-slavers who fought in the Civil War were merely
expressions of self-interest and that the blacks were 'against' emancipation,
which was fundamentally why they were indulging in 'leaderless' riots in the
suburbs of Los Angeles."

/ Rickard

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skr�ck  *  �ldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx f�r listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).