[SKRIVA] NASAs sond närmar sig Pluto

  • From: Ahrvid <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Dec 2014 20:20:52 +0100

I januari 2015 kommer NASAs  sond New Horizons till Walt Disneys hundplanet att
påbörja sitt uppdrag. Närkontakt med Pluto blir i juli. Sonden har legat i
dvala men har nu väckts:

http://io9.com/nasas-new-horizons-spacecraft-awakes-to-begin-pluto-mis-1667729735

"After nine years and a journey of nearly 3-billion miles (4.8
billion km), NASA's Pluto-bound New Horizons robotic probe has awoken
from its hibernation in preparation for a unprecedented flyby of Pluto
and other celestial bodies in the Kuiper Belt.
At 3:00 PM ET on Saturday, a pre-set alarm clock roused New Horizons
from its hibernation mode. Owing to the extreme distance, NASA received
confirmation at 9:30 PM ET, some 6.5 hours later.
In about six weeks, on January 15, 2015, the spacecraft will begin
 its scientific observations of the dwarf planet Pluto and one or two of
 its Kuiper belt objects depending on which are in a better position to
be explored.
New Horizons will make its closest approach to Pluto on July 14,
2015. The probe will not be stationed in orbit around the dwarf planet.
Mission planners say there are two reasons for this:

The first is an engineering reason. To get to Pluto (which is 5
billion kilometers or 3 billion miles from Earth) in just 9.5 years, as
New Horizons will, the spacecraft must travel very, very quickly. As a
result, New Horizons will speed by Pluto at a velocity of about 43,000
kilometers per hour (27,000 miles per hour). To get into orbit,
operators would have to reduce that speed by over 90%, which would
require more than 1,000 times the fuel that New Horizons can carry.
The second reason is scientific: If we did stop to go into orbit, we wouldn't
be able to go on to explore the Kuiper Belt!"

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Follow @SFJournalen on Twitter for the latest news in
short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur