[SKRIVA] Mest jordlika planeten upptäckt

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2011 10:26:46 +0100

NASA:s nya Kepler-satellit har nu varit igång ett tag, och upptäckt vad som
beskrivs som den mest jordlika planeten hittills. Den har bara 1,4 ggr
jordmassan och är av allt att döma en s k stenplanet, precis som jorden:

http://io9.com/5729892/earth-2-at-last-rocky-exoplanet-just-14-times-the-size-of-earth

"The newly-discovered Kepler-10b is, in terms of size, the most Earth-like
exoplanet yet discovered, and the first completely confirmed discovery of a
rocky planet around another star. This is very good news for the hunt for
Earth's twin.
NASA's Kepler Mission began focusing most of its resources on the hunt for
small exoplanets last year, and already we're witnessing the exciting result.
So how did we find this modest-sized planet? The Kepler probe has an incredibly
precise photometer which can measure the minute changes in a star's brightness
as a planet passes in front of it. This method has proven very useful in
spotting larger exoplanets, but Kepler is the first NASA mission with a
photometer powerful enough to pick up on the existence of much smaller,
Earth-sized planets. Kepler-10b, at just 1.4 times the size of Earth, is by far
the smallest exoplanet we've yet discovered.
Unfortunately, Kepler-10b doesn't fit any of the other criteria for a
potentially habitable planet. It's 20 times closer to its star than Mercury is
to ours, placing it far from the habitable zone that would allow life to
survive there. Indeed, Kepler-10b races around its star, completing an orbit
every 0.84 days. And, though it's only 1.4 times the size of Earth, Kepler-10b
is a dense world, with a mass 4.6 times that of Earth and an average density
similar to an iron dumbbell.
Still, Kepler should be capable of detecting rocky planets inside the habitable
zone, and the discovery of Kepler-10b suggests that we really will be able to
find a planet out there that is just like Earth, both in terms of size and
location."

Tyvärr är planeten för nära sin sol för att kunna ha liv, men Kepler har iaf
visat sig ha kapacitet att upptäcka små planeter av storlek nära jordens.

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur
(skriva-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, subj: subscribe) YXSKAFTBUD, GE VÅR WCZONMÖ