[SKRIVA] Future Day

  • From: Ahrvid <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 16:55:48 +0100

(Ni såg det här i kalendern. Jag skriver på engelska på det att min lilla
rapport även kan brukas i andra fora där svenskkunskaperna är infinitesimala.
--AE)
This is an international event, which in its Stockholm version was held in the
Technical Museum March 1st. Its the idea of having a special day to  celebrate
all the possibilities that our glorious future harbour. For a list of events
world-wide see: http://futureday.org/events/
About 60 people had gathered in the museum's main auditorium for an afternoon
that proved to be rather innovative. We played a "game" and wrote stories, you
see.
After an introduction by organiser Vasilis Mavroudis, representatives of
different organisations with an interest in the future presented their ideas.
After that the audience was divided into groups. Each group was given a paper
with the ideas from the organisations in random order.  The task was to
identity which idea belonged to which organisation. The organisations were:
Transition (transitionnetwork.org) presented by Stephen Hinton - all
presentations were made in English, BTW - who believes in "sustainable living
and local ecological resilience in the near future", to quote from the paper.
Broken Future (dark-mountain.net) presented by Dougald Hine, a network to solve
"social, economic, ecological and cultural drises that mark the end of the
world".
Humanity+ (manniskaplus.net) presented by Waldemar Ingdahl and Hannes Sjöblom,
who favours "technological transformation, the singularity and augmented
humanity".
Wider Embraces (widerembraces.org) presented by Stina Deurell  which wants
"recognition and development of collective consciousness and perspectives".
After the presentations our groups could get more informations from info
corners of the different organisations, to help fill in the questionnaire,
which was then corrected. My group, we called ourselves "The Improvisers", were
proud to get full points here.
After this, the game continued with identifying possible problems with the
different visions.  For my part, much of what was presented was too much of
dystopian gloom cliches, like respect-Mother-Earth-and-eat-raw-carotts.
Recycling, indeed - recycling the old Club of Rome claims , since long wholly
discredited by reality. I'm more of a guy who embraces globalisation, hi tech,
space, growth, technology and so on. I guess Humanity+ was the organisation
most in my taste - they also like science and hi tech, and want to tweak and
improve Homo Sapiens herself.
Anyway, using everything we had picked up, we were lastly to write a short
fable. I'm a short story writer, but I must say that 20 minutes for this was a
bit short. But I'm proud to say that I managed to contribute the basic idea, a
fable of a cute chicken borrowing seeds from a greedy magpie. The magpie
demands a high interest rate, the fable continues, but the chicken gets his day
when he grows up to a mighty rooster. The different fables were read aloud for
the audience, and then we put points on them to select a winner. The winning
fable was about a tree that developed posionous fruits to get rid of goats
damaging trees.
It all ended with a short panel debate with the representatives from the
organisations.
I thought it was all very interesting. To get involved as an audience rather
than to just hear a number of speeches could be something for...the future.

--Ahrvid
--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Follow @SFJournalen on Twitter for the latest news in
short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).