[SKRIVA] Ett par nomineringslistor

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sverifandom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2012 13:32:11 +0100

Sammanfattat från SF Awards Watch (http://www.sfawardswatch.com/). Brukar
försöka undvika att i nyhetsnotiser ta upp det som "bara" är nomineringar, men
BSFA-priset är välkänt och från näraliggande Storbritannien och Kitschie-priset
ä rrätt nytt (och låter litet spännande...ni får också en del av bakgrunden
till det priset):

The British Science Fiction Awards nominees have been announced. The awards
will be presented at Eastercon in April.

Best Novel
Cyber Circus, by Kim Lakin-Smith
Embassytown, by China Miéville
The Islanders, by Christopher Priest
By Light Alone, by Adam Roberts
Osama, by Lavie Tidhar

Best Short Fiction
?The Silver Wind,? by Nina Allan
?The Copenhagen Interpretation,? by Paul Cornell
?Afterbirth,? by Kameron Hurley
?Covehithe,? by China Miéville
?Of Dawn,? by Al Robertson

Best Non-Fiction
Out of This World: Science Fiction But Not as We Know It, by Mike Ashley
The SF Encyclopedia, 3rd Edition, edited by John Clute, Peter Nicholls, & David
Langford
Review of Arslan, by M.J. Engh & Abigail Nussbaum
SF Mistressworks, edited by Ian Sales
Pornokitsch, edited by Jared Shurin & Anne Perry,
The Unsilent Library: Essays on the Russell T. Davies Era of the New Doctor
Who, by Graham Sleight, Tony Keen, & Simon Bradshaw

Best Art
cover for The Noise Revealed, by Dominic Harman
cover for A Monster Calls, by Jim Kay
cover for Osama, by Pedro Marques
cover for A Glass of Shadow, by Anne Sudworth

-----

Kitschies Award Short List

The Kitschies are proud to announce the finalists for the year?s most
progressive, intelligent and entertaining works of genre literature.

The shortlisted books for the Red Tentacle (for novel):
The Enterprise of Death by Jesse Bullington (Orbit)
Embassytown by China Miéville (Tor)
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd (Walker Books)
The Testament of Jessie Lamb by Jane Rogers (Sandstone)
Osama: A Novel by Lavie Tidhar (PS Publishing)

The shortlisted books for the Golden Tentacle (for debut):
Among Thieves by Douglas Hulick (Tor)
God?s War by Kameron Hurley (Night Shade Books)
The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (Harvill Secker)
Miss Peregrine?s Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs (Quirk)
The Samaritan by Fred Venturini (Blank Slate Press)

The shortlisted books for the Inky Tentacle (for cover art):
Rivers of London by Ben Aaronovitch; illustration by Stephen Walter, design by
Patrick Knowles (TAG Fine Arts) (Gollancz)
The Last Werewolf by Glen Duncan; design by Peter Mendelsund (Canongate)
The Prague Cemetery by Umberto Eco; design by Suzanne Dean, illustration by
John Spencer (Harvill Secker)
Equations of Life by Simon Morden; design by Lauren Panepinto (Orbit)
A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness and Siobhan Dowd; illustration by Jim Kay
(Walker Books)

The winning author of the Red Tentacle will receive a £750 prize; the winners
of the Golden Tentacle and Inky Tentacles each receive £250. All three will
also receive iconic, hand-made Tentacle trophies.
All the finalists receive a bottle of The Kraken Rum.
This shortlisted titles were selected from a list of over 150 submissions
received from 38 publishers and imprints.
The winners will be announced on February 3, 2011 at an award ceremony to be
held at the SFX Weekender 3.

Award Director Anne C. Perry said:
?Our goal in creating this award was not just to bridge the gap between genre
and literature but to prove that there?s no gap at all. And we feel that 2011
has gone a long way towards illustrating that. We?re tremendously delighted by
the passion we?ve seen from the authors, editors, publishers and fans ? all of
whom have contributed to make this an extraordinary year for The Kitschies.?
Red and Golden Tentacle Judge (and 2010 Red Tentacle winner) Lauren Beukes said:
?It?s been a fraught and bloody process winnowing the nominees down to
shortlists of just five, involving passionate fan-rants, general geekery, some
very silly jokes and occasional outbreaks of threatened violence between the
judges.
2011 produced some remarkable novels. These are the ones that stood out for all
of us, according to The Kitschies? criteria: books that were inventive, playful
and smart, packed with intriguing ideas, great characters and nudged at the
boundaries of things, or overturned them altogether.
I suspect getting consensus on the ultimate winners is going to turn into even
more of a knife-fight. A battle to which I fully intend to bring a mecha armed
with autocannons.?

Inky Judge Hayley Campbell added:
?As we sorted through the mountain of submissions, we were glad to see our old
pals the hooded druids, the snarling werewolves, and the miscellaneous bit of
unfathomably large spaceship ? we cast them a friendly wave as we sorted them
out of the pile.
We were looking for stuff that went beyond the obvious, the kind of cover that
would not relegate a book to the dark forgotten corner of the bookshop where
the monsters live. What we were left with was an astonishingly diverse
collection of covers, and an even more diverse collection of opinions.?

The annual award is presented to the most ?progressive, intelligent and
entertaining novels that contain elements of the speculative or fantastic?
published in the UK during the previous calendar year.
This is The Kitschies third year and the first year of sponsorship by The
Kraken Rum.
The judges will be sharing their personal reviews of the finalists and inviting
discussion online from 16 January to 27 January at the geek culture website
Pornokitsch (www.pornokitsch.com).
The award was created by Anne C. Perry and Jared Shurin, founders and editors
of the geek culture website Pornokitsch.They still serve as the award
directors. They can be contacted at tentacle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).