[SKRIVA] English transl, Celsius

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2013 16:30:46 +0100

Approximate English translation of Anders Celsius' "War of the Worlds?" (unkown
date, but before 1744 when he died):

When astronomy has reached so far that we are sure of the status of the

inhabitants of the planets; and physics so forward that we find ways to

travel from Earth to the planets, they none-the-less begin to make war

in the air and trade and navigate to the planets, and thus they want to

conquer each other. Later Earth will be considered as a united realm in

respect to e g the Kingdom of Mars. They will then find out to make

alliances with each other, e g Mercury, Venus and Tellus, on one side,

and on the other side Mars, Jupiter and Saturn. But as Jupiter and

Saturn has conquered so many small kingdoms on their satellites;

Mercury, Venus and Tellus would the oblige the inhabitants of the Sun to

 be on their side to keep the balance in the Solar system, and instead

they now have Europa /illegible/. If science would become as advanced

that we could trade with other planetary systems, e g Sirus, our system

would be considered as one Kingdom, and then wars start between

different systems, and so on ad infinitum. But since you cannot travel

between systems in shorter time than a few hundred years, medicine

should be improved so that people could become as old as during the time

 of the Patriarchs.

  Who did originally think you could sail the

seas, as far as that you couldn't see land? Who thought you could start

to battle on water? Now we have little belief that people in due time

could sail and battle in the air. It could be possible that flesh and

skin would become transparent. If one in the future could imagine such

people and animals, it would become a possibility for a nice novel -

medicine would then make people long-lived.
--Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the latest
news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf, fantasy, kultur

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).