[SKRIVA] Arc söker noveller tema "pleasure"

  • From: Ahrvid Engholm <ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <skriva@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2012 21:17:25 +0200

Från senaste infoutskicket från New Scientists sf-anknutna blaska Arc:
"Meanwhile, we are ready to roll again - and this time we are looking for short
stories, between 3000 and 5000 words, exploring the future of pleasure. What
new games will we play? How will we indulge ourselves, and at what cost? What
new joys will the future hold?Pleasure is, strangely, a rare subject for
science fiction. This is partly, I suppose, to do with Thomas Hardy's dictum
that "Light writes white". It's hard to engage a reader with tales of other
people having a nice time. But pleasures exact their costs, and there have been
a few works that attempt to explore the rigours, as well as the joys, of
bringing pleasure to others. Some of Jack Vance's books gave more than cursory
attention to the business of music-making; Spider Robinson and his wife Jeanne
wrote not one but three books about the choreographic possibilities of zero
gravity - Jeanne's dance project nudges ever closer to being performed for
real.More often, pleasure turns out to be a primrose path to perdition. Though
when the nightmares are as considered and as sharply drawn as Dick's Martian
Time-Slip, say, or David Cronenberg's Videodrome, only a fool would complain.
There are very few works that make stories out of games. John Brunner's Squares
of the City connected pervasive gaming to urban planning to the surveillance
state in 1965, for heaven's sake, but few writers have interrogated the
territory since. (If I'm missing a trick here - there surely must be examples
I'm forgetting - drop a comment on our blog.)So, if you want to write for Arc,
here's your challenge. Enter our third short story competition and share with
us your vision of the future of pleasure, entertainment, games, toys and fun.
And if you need inspiration, you will find some of these themes explored in Arc
1.3: Welcome to the Afterparty, out on 24 September for iPads and iPhones, for
Kindle, for Android devices, Windows and Mac computers, and as a collectible
print edition.Technology, in whatever guise - from robotics to synthetic
biology to geoengineering - should feature prominently, but we're looking for
fiction, not raw opinion, and the human element will have to be
compelling.Anyone, anywhere in the world can enter. Entries must be received by
23:59 on Sunday 14 October 2012. Arc's editors will select one story for
publication in Arc 1.4, out this December. We will pay £500 for that story and
£200 for each of five runners-up. We will use all of these stories to stimulate
conversations about the future on The Tomorrow Project website.More details,
including full terms and conditions, are at arcfinity.org/submit" --Ahrvid

--
ahrvid@xxxxxxxxxxx / Be an @SFJournalen Twitter Follower for all the
latest news in short form! / Gå med i SKRIVA - för författande, sf,

-----
SKRIVA - sf, fantasy och skräck  *  Äldsta svenska skrivarlistan
grundad 1997 * Info http://www.skriva.bravewriting.com eller skriva-
request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx för listkommandon (ex subject: subscribe).