[Sisters in Crime qld Sisters in Crime Qld - April Gathering & upcoming dates

  • From: "Janelle Colquhoun" <jc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Sisters in Crime" <sincqld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <sistersincrimeq@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Apr 2015 02:46:32 +1000

Notice of April SinC Qld meeting:

#Our usual Saturday monthly meeting has been switched to Wednesday 22 April at the Plough Inn, South Bank (see details below). But, any Sisters wishing to meet on Saturday 4 April at the SLQ, our regular room is booked from 12:30-3:00pm and anyone can claim it.

Our April Evening Gathering:

When: Wednesday, 22 April 2015

Time: from 6:00pm

Where: Plough Inn

Address: Stanley Street Plaza South Bank (midway between South Brisbane and South Bank train stations)

Room: The Arbour Bar*

Who: Sisters in Crime, Brothers-in-Law, Partners in Crime and anyone interested in crime reading or writing. *We’d especially love to see those Sisters who can never make our Saturday meetings so we can strengthen our network of local female crime writers*

Cost: Depends if you choose to eat or drink while you’re there! NB The Plough Inn is in the Entertainment Book

See all details including map, rooms and menus at:

www.ploughinn.com.au

Topic: There is no set recipe for the evening. Maybe we’ll just chat. Maybe we’ll just share a coffee or wine or meal together. Maybe a few of you want to get up and tell us about your latest book or writing challenge. Maybe we’ll play a writing game or two. Maybe we’ll discuss the future of Sisters in Crime Qld. Maybe, you’ll decide what we should do when you send us suggestions for the evening?!

*The Arbour Bar and Board Room are private areas upstairs which we can exclusively use (final choice of rooms will depend on numbers). However, these rooms are not wheelchair accessible. Please RSVP so we have an idea of numbers and if any of our Sisters in wheelchairs are attending, can you notify us as early as possible since we’d then need to get them to reserve and set-up The Lounge downstairs for us – The Lounge is in the public bar area and is noisier and less intimate, so was not thus automatically booked. The ultimate room choice will be listed on our facebook page, but you can ask when you arrive for the booking under Sisters in Crime.

RSVP with approximate numbers to Brenda Cross:

crimewithoutgrime@xxxxxxxxx

Mobile: 0497 082 160

Upcoming:

For some of our future Gatherings we already have locked in award-winning author Sulari Gentill, a Brisbane business-operator who does crime scene clean-ups, and a Queensland Police psychologist who wants our help with ideas and research tips to solve a cold serial killer case from the Gold Coast!

For those in the Moreton Shire:

Local Authors database.

All published authors living or working in the Moreton Bay Region are invited to become part of the new database. To enter your details go to

www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/local-authors.aspx

You can only enter 2 books on the initial form. Once the form is approved and online, you will be able to enter extra titles.

Tina Cavanough

Community and Reader Services Librarian

tina.cavanough@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Dates for your diaries:

Tuesday, 14 April | 1:30 – 2:30pm, Bracken Ridge Library

Meet Carmel Joyce

Acclaimed local genealogist and writer Carmel Joyce is the author of several novels based on extensive historical research. Carmel uses authentic research as a foundation for her books and characters as they once lived. Carmels' research includes family history from the 18th and 19th centuries, and Queensland early pioneers. Bookings by calling the BCC required

***

Strathpine Library, 17 April, 11.00am-12.00noon

Dying to see your book in print, but not sure where to start? In this informative seminar, writing coach and manuscript assessor Louise Cusack will clue you up on all you need to know to make a submission that will catch the publishers' eye. Find out how to get your foot in the publishing house door and your book on its way to the bestseller lists.

Book online.

https://www.moretonbay.qld.gov.au/wamb/?utm_medium=email&utm_source=eNewsletter&utm_campaign=Writers+Update&utm_content=April+2015

***

Meet Fleur McDonald

North Lakes Library, 24 April, 6.30pm (Doors open 6.00pm)

Meet 'voice of the outback' Fleur McDonald and discover Emerald Springs, the new book from this internationally best-selling mystery/romance author. Fleur likes to write about strong women overcoming adversity and is the author of Red Dust, Blue Skies, Purple Roads, Silver Clouds and Crimson Dawn.

Free.

Bookings required.

http://sa2.seatadvisor.com/sabo/servlets/TicketRequest?&presenter=AUMBRC&event=MF240415

Thanks to our ever-lovely Sister Sandy Curtis (who also recently gave an inspiring crime reading and writing talk to vision impaired clients at the Brisbane Vision Australia office), for providing us the attached details of WriteFest on 16-17 May at CQ University Bundaberg

Qld Police Museum 2015 SUNDAY LECTURE SERIES

Unless otherwise advised, lectures are run on last Sunday of the month (Feb-Nov) from 11am to 12.30pm

FREE Entry, NO BOOKINGS required, ARRIVE early, FIRST entry is at 10.45am

April 26 11am – 12.30pm

A/Sgt Matt Guitman, Police Diving Unit, Underwater search and recovery

May 31 11am – 12.30pm

Garry Ryan and Simon Major, Vehicle Inspection Unit, a Crash Course in Forensic Mechanics

June 28 11am – 12.30pm

Sen. Constable Natalie Gorman, Gold Coast Scientific Section, Who We Are & What We Do

We now have over 150 facebook crime friends! If you haven’t done it already, click 'like' on the Queensland Sisters in Crime facebook page to ask crime questions, share your crime cases and for up-to-date events and information:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sisters-in-Crime-Queensland/100819836673697

The Sisters in Crime Queensland Twitter handle is @SinC_QLD.

Our ‘notices only’ list for SinCQld members has been set up with freelists. If people wish to receive the Sisters in Crime Qld notices, subscribe by sending an email to: sistersincrimeq-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'subscribe' in the Subject field OR by visiting the Sisters in Crime Qld list page at //www.freelists.org/list/sistersincrimeq

“I’ve written six books now, but instead of making it easier, it has complicated matters to the point of absurdity. I have no idea what I’m doing. All the decisions I appear to have made—about plots and characters and where to start and when to stop—are not decisions at all. They are compromises.” KEITH RIDGWAY

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/books/2012/08/everything-is-fiction.html