[Singapore GNU Group] Should we start calling this OS GNU/Linux?

  • From: "Lam YongXian" <adolf@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 22:06:17 +0800

Calling the operating system 'Linux' alone, leave the creators for the
majority part of the System, those hundreds and thousands of
volunteers who initiated and worked under the world's first complete
and totally free computer operating system project, no acknowledgment
and the respect they deserve. This is getting serious, because more
and more people are doing it. No doubt, Linux kernel make up the core
of the system, saving the GNU Project the time and resource from
finishing a GNU kernel. But it is to note that, what makes it possible
for all of us to enjoy this wonderful working operating system today,
is driven by GNU philosophy, and with its volunteers working towards
that philosophy. Without GNU System, a kernel itself is basically
useless, even if it was even built at the first place.

I am not asking you to adopt that philosophy, but I urge all of us to
start calling the system,  'GNU/Linux' or 'GNU System'. Of course, the
kernel will still be referred to as 'Linux'. If you think 'GNU/Linux'
is too long, just read out 'Windows 2000'. We should not stop
misleading ourselves, and even more importantly, others.

Read more @ http://www.gnu.org/gnu/why-gnu-linux.html

Thanks =)

*Definition - 'Free' as in freedom.

--