[sinatraphiles] Re: Take that Frank Sinatra

  • From: Scott Henderson <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinatraphiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 30 Oct 2022 15:36:18 -0400

Bing with a Beat, that album Bing made with Bob Scobey is one of my favorites. It ranks up there with Fancy Meeting You which paired Bing and Rosemary Clooney. I practically wore out those two LPs. The Bing with a Beat album set me on a lifetime love of the work of Bob Scobey. Bob Scobey and Clancy Hayes. You don't get better than that unless you throw in Bing, which they did on Bing with a Beat.

Scott

At 03:00 PM 10/30/2022, you wrote:

Hi Philers,
There was no one who supported this argument more than Frank Sinatra. From the 1940s, I have a number of articles
written by Frank in which he tells the world that Bing was easily the best. The many reviews that I have put up from
Frank's appearances at the Paramount, Waldorf. and other venues, back Crosby as the far superior singer. Even
the very positive notices make the point that there was someone who did it better. Frank continued to back his idol
right into the late 1950s. In a private interview, from 1958, Sinatra goes out of his way to praise the man. He marvels
at how easily Bing makes the art of singing look so relaxed and natural.
There were some writers -- notably the Metronome reviewers - who knew Sinatra's singing was of a very high order.
Skitch Henderson worked with both men. He knew Frank had far greater abilities in the art of interpreting a song. Bing
was great but Frank was beyond category. Skitch told me Frankie had an incredible beauty in his tonal quality that
combined with a very powerful baritone range. Skitch loved rehearsing with him because it was such a joy to hear
that sound
Frank never was a serious rival when it came to hit singles. No one was near Crosby in that endeavor. But the long
playing album was decisive in establishing Sinatra as the Chairman of the Board. Finally. in 1965, der Bingle told
the world that Frank Sinatra was a far better singer. There were very few who disagreed.
Ed

October 28, 1943

[]