[sinatraphiles] February 6 - THIS DATE IN SINATRA HISTORY

  • From: Scott Henderson <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: sinatraphiles@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 06 Feb 2022 09:15:39 -0500

Studio

1952 Hollywood

RHCO10110 My Girl
(C. Freed)
Ludlow Music, Inc. (BMI) 1952
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (2:24) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 12
78: 39726

RHCO10114 Feet Of Clay
(J. Whitney/A. Kramer/H. Zaret)
Bourne, Inc. (ASCAP) 1952
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (2:56) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 12
78: 39687

NOTE: Sinatra Scholar Ed O'Brien remarks that he'd take "Mama Will Bark" anytime over this "little beauty."

RHCO10115 Don't Ever Be Afraid To Go Home
(B. Hillard/C. Sigman)
Remick Music Corp. (ASCAP) 1952
Arranged & Conducted by Axel Stordahl
-1 (2:28) CD: Columbia Years 43-52 Vol. 12
78: 39687

Violins: J. Augustine, D. Lube, N. Pisani, I. Prager, M. Russell, M. Sosson; Violas: S. Harris, D. Sterkin; Cello: E. Slatkin; Harp: A. Stockton; Saxes: E. Callen, E. Gershman, L. Hartman, B. Russin, F. Stulce; Trumpet: R. Zarchy; Trombones: G. Arus, J. Piddy; Piano: W. Miller; Guitar: A. Reuss; Bass: J. Ryan; Drums: R. Hagan

Radio

1941 Fame And Fortune - Tommy Dorsey Orchestra
Network: NBC - Blue Network
Location: New York City
Show #19
Sponsor: Nature's Remedy
Time: 8:30PM - 9:00PM (EST) Thursdays
Orchestra Conducted By: Tommy Dorsey
Arrangements By: Axel Stordahl (Sinatra)
Announcer: Fred Beutel
Musicians: Ziggy Elman, Bob Alexy, Lee Castle, Jimmy Blake (trumpet); George Arus, Les Jenkins, Dave Jacobs (trombone); Johnny Mince (clarinet, alto sax); Fred Stulce, Heinie Beau (alto sax); Don Lodice, Paul Mason (tenor sax); Joe Bushkin (piano); Clark Youcum (guitar); Sid Weiss (bass); Buddy Rich (drums).
Vocals: Frank Sinatra, Connie Haines, Pied Pipers
1. opening theme: Anything - TD & Orchestra
2. Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider - Frank Sinatra
3. May I Never Love Again - Connie Haines
4. commercial
5. I Love It So - Jo Stafford & Pied Pipers
6. Oh, Look At Me Now - Frank Sinatra, Connie Haines & Pied Pipers
7. commercial
8. Old Black Joe - Tommy Dorsey & orchestra
9. Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms - Tommy Dorsey
10. commercial
11. If You Would Only Change Your Mind - Jo  Stafford
12. closing theme: Anything - TD & Orchestra
Notes: Confirmed airing on WJZ

("Ida, Sweet As Apple Cider" appears on CD: Buddha 74321 69173 2 'Learn To Croon')

1946 Songs By Sinatra
Network: CBS
Location: Hollywood
Show #22
Sponsor: Old Gold Cigarettes
Time: 9:00PM - 9:30PM (EST) Wednesday
Orchestra Conducted By: Axel Stordahl
Arrangements By: Axel Stordahl
Announcer: Marvin Miller
Writer: Glenn Wheaton
Directed By: Mann Holiner
Performers: The Pied Pipers
Guest: Bob Hope
CBS Broadcast:
1. opening theme: Night And Day
2. Don't Forget Tonight Tomorrow - Frank Sinatra & Pied Pipers
3. That Old Black Magic - Frank Sinatra
4. commercial 1
5. Doctor, Lawyer And Indian Chief - Pied Pipers
6. comedy - Bob Hope & Frank Sinatra
7. These Foolish Things (parody) - Frank Sinatra & Bob Hope
8. commercial 2
9. Tin Pan Alley "Race Track" Medley: Symphony /
I Can't Begin To Tell You / Let It Snow, Let It Snow,
Let It Snow / I'm Always Chasing Rainbow / It's Been
A Long Long Time / Bell Bottom Trousers - Frank Sinatra
10. Day By Day - Frank Sinatra
11. closing theme: Put Your Dreams "screams" Away - w/Bob Hope

Notes: Confirmed airing on WABC.
Ed O'Brien reports that there is a rehearsal tape of this radio show in circulation. It is great fun, he says. Bob Hope did not attend the rehearsal but Frank had a good time with the cast.

1950 Light Up Time
Taped: January 16, 1950
Sponsor: Lucky Strike Cigarettes
Network: NBC
Show #111
Broadcast: 4:00-4:15 PM PST (Repeat: 8:00-8:15 PM PST)
Starring: Frank Sinatra & Dorothy Kirsten
Jeff Alexander And The Orchestra
1. opening
2. A Foggy Day - Frank Sinatra
3. commercial
4. More Than You Know - Dorothy Kirsten
5. Without A Song - Frank Sinatra
6. commercial
7. The Way You Look Tonight - Frank Sinatra & Dorothy Kirsten
8. closing

Television

NONE

Concerts

1940 Lyric Theatre, Indianapolis, Indiana (2-8)
Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra with Frank Sinatra

1941 Frank Dailey's Meadowbrook, Cedar Grove, New Jersey (Jan 21, 1941 - Feb. 17, 1941)
Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra with Frank Sinatra

1942 Hollywood Palladium, California (Dec. 30, 1941 - Feb. 23, 1942)
Tommy Dorsey & His Orchestra with Frank Sinatra

1943 Paramount Theatre, New York City (Jan. 27 - Feb 20)
w/Johnny Long & Orchestra

1950 Shamrock Hotel, Houston, Texas (January 31st - February 10)
Sinatra was dark on February 6th

1953 Chez Peree, Montreal, Quebec (6-15)
w/Bob Harrington Orchestra

NOTE: Ed O'Brien reports that Harry Ship, nightclub owner and booking agent,
offered Frank Sinatra a $15,000 advance if he would play the Chez Paree for a week.
Frank opened on a Friday and did shows at 8:30, 11:30, and 1:30. He did the same on Saturday evening
and repeated that schedule the following weekend. Sunday thru Thusday
the shows were at 9 and 1.. The cover charge Monday through Friday was $1.50 and a whooping $2.00
on Saturday and Sunday. Ava Gardner attended and Frank did a decent business for pre-"Eternity"
and pre-Capitol. There was a nice ad in the Montreal Gazette on opening night.

1960 Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada (1-13)
Frank, Dean, Sammy, Peter, and Joey appeared nightly
"Oceans Eleven" and "Pepe" were being filmed during their engagement.

1961 Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada (1-14)
Buddy Lester, Copa Girls (12), Garr Nelson,
Antonio Morelli Orch.(32) Conducted by Bill Miller
Choreography by Renne Stuart,
Prioduced by Jack Entratter
$4 minimum

1963 Sands, Las Vegas, Nevada (January 23 - February 12)
w/Dean & Sammy

1965 Hotel Eden Roc, Miami, Florida (January 29 - February 11)
Sinatra and Joe E. Lewis
2 Shows 9 and 12 Nightly
Also appearing:  the Half Brothers, Val Olman and his Orchestra.
Joe E. Lewis was accompanied by Austin Mack
Note:  Sinatra missed the second show on February 7th due to an ear infection.

1983 Caesar's Palace, Las Vegas, Nevada (3-9)
Orchestra Conducted By: Joe Parnello
1.  I've Got You Under My Skin
2.  Change Partners
3.  This Is All I Ask
4.  Come Rain or Come Shine
5.  I Get a Kick Out of You
6.  Here's to the Band
7.  The Lady Is a Tramp
8.  As Time Goes By
9.  Theme From New York, New York

1991 Tempe, Arizona
Benefit for Arizona State University
Orchestra Conducted By: Frank Sinatra, Jr.

-----------------------------------

Extra

1960  Frank filmed inside The Sands from 5am to 7.15 am for Oceans 11
Note: contributed by Fred Wadsworth

Taping Session As Archived
February 6 Taping Session
John Denver And Friend
Air date: March 29, 1976
Taped February 6-7, 1976
Location: ABC Television Center, Hollywood, California
Network: ABC
Sponsor: Timex
Guests: Frank Sinatra, Count Basie, Harry James & Orchestra, Tommy Dorsey Orchestra
Produced BY: George Schlatter
Directed By: Bill Davis
Written By: Digby Wolfe, George Schlatter
Musical Director: Nelson Riddle
Executive Producer: Jerry Weintraub
1.  one o'clock jump - Harry James Orchestra
2. dialogue - John Denver
3. All Or Nothing At All - Frank Sinatra & Harry James Orchestra
4. dialogue - John Denver
5.. medley: I'll Smile Again / Let's Get Away From It All (Both) / Imagination / Polka Dot And Moonbeams (John Denver) / There Are Such Thing - Frank Sinatra
6. dialogue - Frank Sinatra & John Denver
7. medley: Saturday Is The Loneliest Night Of The Week / Five Minutes More (Denver) / Come Fly With Me / Nice And Easy (Denver) / Learnin' The Blues (both) / Strangers In The Night (Denver) / Witchcraft (both) / It Was A Very Good Year (Denver) / Young At Heart (Denver) / Nancy / This Is A Lovely Way To Spend An Evening (both) / The Tender Trap (both) / Love And Marriage (both) / High Hope (both) / All The Way - Frank Sinatra
8. intro: count Basie - John Denver
9. medley: All Of Me / My Kind Of Town / The Lady Is A Tramp / I Get A Kick Out Of You - Frank Sinatra, John Denver & Count Basie Orchestra
10. My Way (short segment) - Frank Sinatra
11. call for intercut
12. prep for intercut
13. dialogue - John Denver
14. medley: I'll Smile Again / Let's Get Away From It All (Both) / Imagination / Polka Dot And Moonbeams (John Denver) / There Are Such Thing - Frank Sinatra
15. dialogue "Thanks, Time To Go Home"  - Frank Sinatra & John Denver
16. photo ops and exit

1953 Chez Peree, Montreal, Quebec (6-15)
w/Bob Harrington Orchestra

Emacs!

Emacs!

 The Gazette (Montreal, Quebec), February 11, 1953

Note: This is the best review of Sinatra’s performance at the Chez Paree that I could find. The rest would focus on his behavior on stage and off while in Montreal. –Scott
Emacs!

Emacs!

Samedi-Dimanche, Montreal, Quebec), February 21, 1953, pg. 27

Translation:

A young woman exclaims:

 "Sinatra? A Poor Husband

For AVA Gardner!"

Sinatra, the crooner who had long been pampering women, now seems to lose much of his prestige and popularity. In Montreal, at least.
His repeated anger ended up falling on the nerves of the Montrealers who no longer look at him with this admiring eye, who no longer listen to him with these sighs to the bobby-soxer.
   Because Sinatra wanted it!
One night, he stopped singing during his number and vociferated against members of Chez Paree's Bob Harrington orchestra. The musicians will never forgive this affront. Another night, he called for the help of the police to get out of his box to contain the "crowds" that crowded outside. Only five people were waiting for him.
A lunch that he had at the hotel Windsor, the waiter served him a filet mignon that the husband of Ava Gardener did not judge right. He got up and went to the kitchen to tell the chef what he thought.
Another day, while the other members of the Chez Paree show were doing their number he declared that these artists did not give a show worthy of "a Sinatra evening" and menaced not to sing.
He made his little American Charles Trenet, what! But a Charles Trenet is a lot less good. A Charles Trenet without genius, no wonder.
This is Sinatra's long-standing commitment to Montreal, and it will be a long time before a cabaret re-engages it. At the end of Chez Paree, a girl exclaimed:
"Sinatra, Pooh ... it's a very poor husband for a woman, and I understand Ava Gardner to want to give him up!"
We know that the American crooner married the beautiful actress about a year ago, and that the household quarrels kept them separate for several months. Miss Gardner, because she likes to be called "Miss Gardner", is currently filming "Vaquero".

The following , posted online at an auction site, was the original contract for Sinatra’s appearance at the Chez Paree, dated December 11th, 1952:
Emacs!

 The details of on the contract stated:

The Operator hereby engages the Artist, and the Artist hereby accepts said engagement to present his act as a PRINCIPAL, consisting of ONE persons at the CHEZ PAREE in the City of MONTREAL, CANADA for a period of TEN consecutive days, SEVEN days weekly. TWO shows daily commencing on February 6th, 1953, for which the Operator agrees to pay the Artists, and the Artist agrees to accept, as full payment, the sum of SEVEN THOUSAND TWO HUNDRED FIFTY - Dollars ($7,250.00 weekly payable immediately preceding the first performance on the concluding night of each week's engagement hereunder.

Here is a close-up picture of Sinatra’s signature at the bottom of the contract:

Emacs!

There was also a further memo to Sinatra from the Chez Paree agreeing to additional $2500 plus living expenses in the amount of $1,078.

Emacs!

Dear Mr. Sinatra,

Reference is hereby made to the contract between us dated December 11, 1951 for your engagement at the CHEZ PAREE, MONTREAL CANADA for a period of ten (10) days commencing February 6, 1953.

In addition to the compensation set forth in the above-mentioned contract, we hereby agree to pay you the additional sum of TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2500.) per week plus ONE THOUSAND SEVENTY-EIGHT DOLLARS ($1078.) for the three (3) days representing the living and miscellaneous expenses incurred by you during your said engagement at the CHEZ PAREE, MONTREAL.

Very truly yours,

 CHEZ PAREE, MONTREAL

There was an additional memo sent to the William Morris Agency regarding the executed copy of the contract and agreement and further stating that Sinatra would need the contract to cross the border into Canada.

Emacs!

FRANK SINATRA WAS SAD THE DAY I MET HIM AT METROPOLITAN NEWS

Emacs!

The Chez Paree was on Stanley Street, just south of St. Catherine. It was a centre of Montreal night life when I was a young girl working at Metropolitan News a block away at 1248 Peel Street. My friend,Wally Aspell, opened for Frank Sinatra during his gig there.

One afternoon, my Pop or my Uncle Harry gave me a copy of Variety to bring over to the Chez Paree so I might have a chance to meet the great Sinatra. They both knew how I loved to meet the movie stars. I was sent out under the pretext that Sinatra had asked for the show business paper.

I came into the darkened Chez Paree nervously hoping to see the great star, but he wasn't there. Wally was there on the stage in the dusty darkness. But Sinatra came into Metro News the next day.

I learned that, late the night before, Sinatra had phoned home to California and found that his wife, Ava Gardner, was not at home.

Sinatra was not in a good mood the day I met him. I can't remember him saying a word as his companion, perhaps body guard, requested a copy of Variety or Billboard.

What I remember most - apart from Sinatra's mood - is the terrible scar along the side of his neck.

Charlie Parker Story
February 5th marks the 50th anniversary of 'Bird's' TV live appearance on the CBC's "Jazz Workshop"
show and the 7th , his afternoon appearance at the Chez Paree [Frank Sinatra hit the same stage that night].
The audio portion of both events can be found on "Charlie Parker, 1953, Montreal" on the Uptown label and you
can read about the events surrounding both the Montreal and Toronto appearances in "Cool Blues: Charlie Parker
in Canada 1953" by Mark Miller.

Interview with Denise Leslie
JBN: – Let's take a trip with a time machine, so where and why would you really wanna go?
DL: – Where and why would I want to go in a time machine? Why? I'd head straight to Montreal,
Quebec at the Chez Paree Night Club the night of Feb 6th, 1953 to see Frank Sinatra.
He was just at the beginning of his comeback. My father was at the show and spoke of it often. He
and the entire crowd were on their feet screaming for him to sing World on a String, to which he laughingly
replied "for Christ's sake I've already sung it three times!" He sang it again and broke down in tears thanking
the Montreal fans for always sticking with him. I would have killed to be there.

February 6, 1990
Jimmy Van Heusen passed away.
January 26, 1913 – February 6, 1990

© 1997-2022 The Sinatra Archive
This calendar, or any parts thereof, may not be reproduced in any fashion
whatsoever without the prior written permission of the publisher (The
Sinatra Archive)

JPEG image

JPEG image

JPEG image