[SimpleMail-usr] Re: Improvements to handling of folder indices

  • From: Kulwant Bhogal <kulwant.bhogal@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: simplemail-usr@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 16 Oct 2004 13:21:18 +0100

Hello Sebastian,

> It isn't. The index is marked as obsolette as soon as you move a mail
> into a folder (may it be a folder which you have already viewed or not).
> Information of additional mails within a not yet loaded folder is stored
> within the internal memory only and not appended to the index to get the
> best possible speed when moving.

How much of a slow down would we get if the index were updated on disk after
say all mails had been downloaded or a manual filter operation was
completed? Could it be implemented as a user preferred option - i.e. the
prefs allow the user to choose maximum speed at the risk of sometimes having
to rebuild indices or choose the safer but slightly slower always keep
indices up to date method?

> There is probably a need for an auto save function, which would store the
> indexfile every given time period. But ideally SimpleMail doesn't crash

Yes - although I have had some crashes from SimpleMail - although I have not
managed to reproduce them - so it may just be my machine but sometimes it is
some other software which causes the crash - in which case SimpleMail should
be able to be in a state where it can recover gracefully and quickly from a
machine crash - having to rebuild folder indicies is not my idea of fun.

Don't get me wrong - I am not knocking SimpleMail, just thinking of ways of
making it even better :-).

Regards,

Kulwant