[sib-access] Re: printing just one staff

  • From: Kevin L Gibbs <kevjazz@xxxxxx>
  • To: sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 29 Dec 2011 12:43:30 -0600

I want to make sure that I'm understanding you correctly.  when you say "one
staff," do you mean printing one instrument part from a score, or do you mean
print one actual staff from one individual part?  I'm going to assume that you
mean to print one part from a score.  this will result in several staves of
that same part on one or more sheets of paper.  When you print a part in
Sibelius 5.x or later, you first press the letter W while focused on the staff
you want in the score.  This will bring up the individual part.  If the part
has several consecutive measures without music, these measures will be
consolidated by Sibelius into one bar with a large black line across it and a
number above that line indicating the number of measures rest.  Note:  It is
important that there be no music in these bars in the score.  You must not
write whole rests in these bars in the score yourself.  If you do, the parts
will assume that there are notation symbols in the music and the measures of
rest will not be consolidated as described above.

If you have no vision, the way to test whether your part has consolidated rests
is to CTRL right arrow through your individual part.  Each measure should read
out a number as you go through it.  If there is a multi measure rest, you'll
notice a gap in the bar counting.  I suppose you could make absolutely sure you
have what you need by getting sighted help.

HTH,
Kevin