[sib-access] Re: expression markings

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 May 2009 22:51:24 +0100

Sorry, I botched this one rather. I changed my mind half way through and
forgot to amend the first half. I also made a mistake in placing the
hairpin. You need to select the second note of bar 1 instead of the first or
the hairpin will be poking right through the expression text. I've corrected
the example below.

Suppose that you have two bars containing only quarter notes and that you
want a "pp" at the start of bar 1, an "mf" under the fourth quarter note of
bar 2, and a crescendo between the two dynamics.

Select the first note of bar 1.
Press Ctrl+E to create the text object.
Hold down the Control key and tap p twice.
press Escape to close the text object, and finally Tab to go back to the
note.

Now select the last note of bar 2 and.
Press Ctrl+E to create the text object.
Hold down the Control key and tap the letter m and then f.
press Escape to close the text object, and finally Tab to go back to the
note.

You now have the two dynamics.

Go to the second quarter note  in bar 1. (you mustn't select the first note
because this will cause the hairpin to intersect the "pp" text".)
Hold down the shift key and repeatedly tap RightArrow until you've selected
the 3rd note in bar 2.
Do not select the last note in bar 2 because this has a dynamic under it and
you don't want the hairpin to extend that far.
Finally press the letter H to create the crescendo hairpin.

You will now have a "pp" dynamic under the first quarter of bar 1, a hairpin
from bar 1 quarter 2 to bar 2 quarter 3, and an "mf" dynamic under the
fourth quarter note of bar 2.

A few points to clarify.
1. Pressing H adds a crescendo hairpin below the selected notes whilst
Shift+H adds a diminuendo hairpin.
2. To input the dynamics, press Ctrl+E to create the text object and then
hold down the control key and then type in the letters you need. You can
type in p, m, f, r, s or z.

Hope this makes more sense and again, sorry for the confusion.

Dan Rugman

visit the new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of
Sibelius Access.
www.musicaccess.co.uk