[sib-access] Re: a good scanning program for images.

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2012 06:24:28 -0800

Ramy,

Probably not one that will do both well. Music scanning software is looking
for staves and musical symbols and will generally make a mess if there is
text surrounding the musical examples.

And of course regular OCR will not know what to do with the musical symbols
and make some garbage of what it sees there.

If you have clean pages of just music then Sharp-Eye  or Smartscore should
do well. And use standard OCR like Omnipage, Openbook, or Kurzweil for those
pages with only text.

Overall you may need a sighted person to first help you identify pages with
a mix of music and text, and to help "mask off" areas before scanning with
one or the other.

Latitude E6520, JAWS 14,  and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit