[sib-access] Re: Urgent, can't move between staves

  • From: "Farfar Carlson" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 30 Aug 2012 07:05:50 -0700

Dan,

Yes, I was thinking along those lines. Here is text from one of my "tips and
tricks":

Step-by-step, no frills...

Control Panel
Display
Settings Tab
Advanced Button
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator  Tab (could be slightly different based
on your laptop)
Graphics Properties button
Ensure that notebook is the tab
Use JAWS cursor to find the words: "Display settings" and click
List box appears saying Display settings
Use JAWS cursor to find the word rotation and the checkbox. uncheck. it
  Press Okay until you're all the way out.

Plug and Play Monitor and Mobile Intel(R) 965 Express Chipset...
General Adapter Monitor Troubleshoot Color Management
Intel(R) Graphics Media Accelerator Driver for Mobile
More visual display options for devices attached to
this computer, such as:
Television
Digital Display
Notebook
Monitor
are available here : Graphics Properties...
Show Tray Icon
OK Cancel Apply 199P3P

****
Then this one:

Fixing Screen Rotation

Ctrl+Alt+Down restores the screen to its correct position. So, if you're
only trying that keystroke, you won't see anything happening on screen. If
you try Ctrl+Alt+Up however, the screen will turn up-side-down, which will
be an obvious giveaway. You may also find that JAWS stops reading list views
correctly if the screen has been rotated.

The options to double-check are in a dialog that you reach through the
desktop. These instructions are for systems with the Intel graphics chips
usually found in Del machines.

Press Windows+M to minimize all apps and go to the desktop. Then press
Ctrl+Space until JAWS says that the item your on is not selected. Now press
the applications key to bring up the desktops context menu. You should find
an option called graphics. This will open the graphics card applet which
contains some options for disabling the rotation shortcut keys.

You may need to use the JAWS cursor to get to the relevant check boxes
within the adapters properties dialog.

There is another way to get to these options but it involves right-clicking
the desktop itself, not an icon, but the background of the desktop. As Dave
says, go to the desktop and make sure that nothing is selected. (After
pressing Windows+M, press Ctrl+Space until you hear "not selected".) Next,
press Applications and choose graphic options.

BTW, this problem seems to be most prevalent on Del machines which have the
on-board Intel graphics chip, even more so on laptops.

Latitude E6520, JAWS 13.0.718,  and Windows 7 Professional 32-bit