[sib-access] Re: Schortcut question

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 22:52:14 +0100

Hi Stefan,

I'm sorry to say that the entire Dynamic Parts feature in Sibelius is not
natively accessible.  The problem is that all the dialogs (the parts window
itself can spawn other dialogs) are non-modal, just like the properties
window.  What this means is that the window can be open but it doesn't have
to have focus.

The problem is that if the parts window is opened, there is nothing which
forces the system to put you in that dialog.  This will have to be done from
JAWS and this isn't as simple as you'd think.  It can't just be triggered
from a keystroke, there need to be all sorts of checks and balances in place
to ensure that things don't go wrong when another application gains focus.

There is also a problem with the staves in part dialog which is opened from
the parts window.  If you try to add a staff to a part then JAWS locks up
quite badly.  To put it simply, JAWS will recognise that Sibelius is the
active application, but no windows will have focus.

You can work around this by using the JAWS cursor to find the OK button and
clicking on it, but this is defintely not a keyboard friendly feature.

If you want to have a go at using the JAWS cursor to control it then by all
means feel free.  I can also give you more precise directions if you need
them because I have used this feature myself through mouse simulation.

I will definitely be looking at scripting this feature and trying to make it
behave like an ordinary dialog, but I'd estimate that it will take about a
day to do it properly and there are other features which must be fixed
first.

Sorry I can't give you better news,

Dan Rugman

Visit www.musicaccess.co.uk
The new on-line resource for visually impaired musicians and home of