[sib-access] Re: Preparing for magnetic lay out

  • From: "Farfar at Work" <dgcarlson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2012 12:57:15 -0800

Here's some text I clipped (without permission) from the Sibelius 5
Reference Manual, relating to breaks, staff spacing, and lock/unlock. Let me
first say that the only time I ever lock the format is just before I use the
Sib-Access command to look at the pages/system/bars report. Then I always
unlock it again. So none of the caveats below apply to my situation.

These clips are all in the manual, but I've only clipped relevant parts, so
they are not consecutive.

7.1 Layout and formatting
Layout means how music looks on the page. Formatting is the process of
creating a good layout.
Sibelius knows so much about music engraving that it automatically formats
music to produce an
instant, excellent layout. In most other music notation programs, formatting
is largely left up to
the user, which can waste hours of time.

But Sibelius also lets you adjust the layout manually. Described below is
the armory of methods at
your disposal; most of these options are on the Layout menu. For instance,
you can put your own
page-turns into parts, or force a score to fit into a convenient number of
pages.

Because Sibelius reformats the score in a fraction of a second, you can
instantly adjust the layout
at any stage, even when the music is finished, which eliminates the need to
plan layout in advance.

The three main weapons in your formatting armory are to adjust the page and
staff size, the vertical spacing, and the horizontal spacing. There are also
options to
force a passage of music to fit
into a system or page, and to lock the music so that it can't reformat.

Vertical spacing
Changing the vertical spacing means, in effect, moving the staves. The
various options open to
you are:
* Moving staves up and down to change the gap between them - see7.9 Staff
spacing
* Moving systems up and down, by dragging the top staff of the system -
see7.9 Staff spacing
* Modifying the House Style > Engraving Rules settings for staff and system
justification -
* Hiding empty staves - see2.23 Staves
* Creating a page break; this is an easy way to reduce the number of staves
on a page, particularly
in parts. The remaining staves will be spaced out proportionally without you
having to drag
them - see7.4 Breaks.Horizontal spacing

(from section 7.4)
System and page breaks
If you need to change Sibelius's default formatting, you can insert manual
system and page breaks
at any barline - see7.4 Breaks.

Make Into System/Page
You can force any passage to fit into a system or a page. Simply select the
passage, then from the
Layout > Format submenu choose Make Into System (shortcut Shift+Alt+M) or
Make Into Page (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+Alt+M). It will remain locked as a
system or
page thereafter, even if you reformat the score.

To undo this, unlock the format (see below).

As with other formatting overrides, you should not routinely make passages
into systems/pages.
Doing so can produce undesirable formatting elsewhere if you don't know what
you're doing - it
is intended for special circumstances only.

Lock Format
If you have input a passage of music that requires very special formatting
that you don't want to
mess up, you can lock it. This stops the bars from reflowing onto other
systems (though it doesn't
prevent spacing changes within a system, e.g. moving a note left or right).
To lock the format, simply select the passage in
question and choose Layout > Format >
Lock Format (shortcut
Ctrl+Shift+L).

When you lock the format or use Layout > Format > Make Into System/Page,
invisible elves and
pixies place little layout symbols on each barline to stop the bars moving
around. These icons are
visible when View > Layout Marks is switched on.

Unlock Format
To undo Lock Format, re-select the bars and choose Layout > Format > Unlock
Format (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+U).

This makes the blue icons disappear, and
the bars are free to flow
from system to system once more.

Unlock Format also removes page breaks, system breaks, and undoes Make Into
System/Page,
Keep Bars Together and the effects of the Make Layout Uniform plug-in.

Removing lots of breaks
To remove page and system breaks in the score or in a passage of bars:
* Select the bars in question (or type Ctrl+A to select the whole score)
* Choose Layout > Format > Unlock Format (shortcut Ctrl+Shift+U).
The music will reformat back to how it was originally, including removing
formatting produced
by the Layout > Format options. However, special page breaks are not removed
by Unlock Format.

(from section 7.9)
Restoring default staff spacing
To restore the default staff spacing (i.e. the settings on the Staves page
of the House Style >
Engraving Rules dialog) to a staff or staves, select the desired passage and
choose Layout > Reset
Space Above Staff or Layout > Reset Space Below Staff.