[sib-access] Re: Playback devices

  • From: "Jean Philippe" <jp.rykiel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 5 Nov 2009 18:02:07 +0100

Dear Ramy
this is one of the main problems that sib-access has for the moment. Once you
are in the playback devices dialogue box, you need to activate the devices
which are not activated. You have two lists, one containing the activated
devices and one containing the non-activated devices. You should be able to
find an activate button beside every non-activated item in the non-activated
list, and pressing this  button will activate the device, making it instantly
move to the activated devices list.
But in the process, Sibelius crashes. Which means you probably need a sighted
person to do it for you. But that is not the worst. After this, there is
another tab in the playback devices which is called the preferred tab,    I
think. In this tab you select which device will play which instruments, or type
of instrument . For example you can tell Sibelius that sound essentials will
play the brass sounds, and your Yamaha synthesizer will play the piano. That
works pretty well with jaws. But then, one thing I found absolutely impossible
to do, is to assign one of my synthesisers program or midi channel if it's an
external synthesiser to a given instrument. I think that is not done in this
dialogue box at all but probably in the mixer. And this also is not accessible
for the moment.
That is one of the reasonss I have given up Sibelius, as my main goal was to
write electronic music in step mode, and not to write scores on paper.
I really wish Dan could do something about this in the future.
All the best,
JPR
http://www.facebook.com/jprykiel
http://myspace.com/jeanphilipperykiel