[sib-access] Piano pedalings and MIDI playback

  • From: "Kevin Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2008 15:31:27 -0500

Guys,
        I feel like I'm trying to write a novel with a grasp of the written
language at a primary school level.  Here's my problem.  I'm trying to write
in pedalings for piano.  If you have a suspension that resolves on the
downbeat of 3 in a bar of 4/4, and assuming that you have notes on the and
of 2 in the left hand, would you write a pedal, line and lift that ran from
the downbeat of 1 to and including the and of 2, then continue with a pedal
line lift again that began at the downbeat of 3 and continued to the end of
the bar, or would you extend the first pedal line and lift through the
downbeat of 3 with the continuing pedal line and lift beginning right at the
downbeat of 3?  This would make for continuous looking lines; however, it
makes for badly slurred MIDI which I need for confirmation because I'm
legally blind.  When I do it the way I think it should go, I get more
slurring than I expect.  I don't know what the convention is.  Can someone
help me?
Thanks,
Kevin