[sib-access] How to copy voice 1 into voice 2 where there's already voice 1

  • From: "Kevin Gibbs" <kevjazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <PoppaJOL@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Aug 2009 14:33:45 -0500

It pays for me to have Pinto's original documentation for Sibelius Speaking
around because his explanation of how to write drum parts fits the situation
I described in an earlier e-mail perfectly.  To recap, I had a viola and a
cello part that I wanted to reduce to a left hand keyboard part.  That
necessitated creating a part in voices 1 and 2 for the left hand.  With very
slight modifications, Pinto's drum notation recipe fits the bill perfectly.
The only difference appears to be that you can't select the voice 1 notes by
pressing ALT CTRL SHIFT 1.  You have to select it in the filter menu.  Maybe
I was typing wrong.

Here goes:

OK, here's the step by step procedure on how to write your drums into 2
staves, and then combine them into one staff. We'll call the 2 drums staves,
Drums 1, and Drums 2.
A. In Drums 1, input your Kick, snare, single tom hits, and side stick.
These notes are displayed mostly near the bottom half of the staff.

B. Select all the bars that you wrote in Drums 1 and change the notes and
rests to Voice 2, by pressing ALT+2.

C. Unselect, and move to the Drums 2 staff. Input your hi hats, cymbals,
cowbell and tom fills. These notes are displayed mostly near the top half of
the staff.

D. Select all the bars that you wrote in Drums 2, and press ALT CONTROL
SHIFT 1 to selectively filter for the Voice 1 notes and rests you just
created. This is the key procedure that makes the next steps possible.

E. Press CONTROL+C, to copy your Voice 1 notes and rests.

F. Move to the beginning of your Drums 1 staff, and paste with CONTROL+V.
Now, your voice 1 notes, will have their stems pointing up, and your voice 2
notes will have their stems pointing down, and the drum notation will look
great.