[sib-access] Re: Any Progress?

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <sib-access@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 09:53:07 +0100

Hi Claudio,

I think it is important to stress at this stage that, the
development has been done using a UK-English layout
keyboard, which in turn most likely explains why this works
best.

For the developer's benefit however, I would stress the
importance of trying to get hold of an actual US-English
keyboard.  (Hopefully I may have one somewhere here I can
lend you)  Two fundamental differences are that there is no
key to the left of the Z key, and both left and right Alt
keys send out the same scan code.

As far as am aware (or from what I've experienced over the
last 20 years or so) the UK keyboard is closest to those
used in Europe, especially in terms of generating a third
character using the right hand Alt Gr key.

If there are specific keystroke problems, may I suggest your
report includes the following.

1) PC Keyboard or Laptop.
2) The keyboard layout in use. E.g. UK-English, French
AZERTY, German, etc..
3) The keystroke(s) causing the problem. (and also spell out
things like "`" keys - grave accent)
4) The actual location of the physical keys used above. E.g.
left of the one on the number row. (Bear in mind laptop
keyboard layouts vary tremendously.)

George.

De : sib-access-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx