[SI-LIST] Re: which one is better

  • From: Javier del Valle <jvalle@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'rajiv_gupta@xxxxxxxxxxxx'" <rajiv_gupta@xxxxxxxxxxxx>,si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:06:40 +0100

Hello,

I would choose the first one (50 Ohms microstrip line). I prefered not to
change of layer if I didn't need it in my previous experience as RF
engineer. Sometimes, the antenna connector is isolated itself from the rest
(the transceiver, etc.) through a land to GND in the top layer, so you need
to use strips. I have also seen some TDR measurements showing that when
going from ustrip to strip, the impedance does fall to ~30 - 35 Ohms (the
via) before recovering again to 50 Ohms in the stripline section. Infact, if
the stripline it too short going from ustrip-strip-ustrip can result in that
the stripline section does not recover to 50 ohms producing quite mismatch
(only if the strip is too short). I would also consider, instead of the pi
network, if the transceiver is internally matched to 50 Ohms, a series
capacitor + an inductor to GND + another series capacitor (high pass
filter). The idea is to compensate the capacitance of the antenna connector
(matching purpose) and also provide some ESD protection. Anyway, it is my
personal opinion and it would be better you try to simulate and measure the
different options (you could also open some mobile phones and see the
connection between the Transceiver part and the antenna connector ;-) ).

I hope it helps,

Best regards,

Javier