[SI-LIST] Re: thermal relief

  • From: "Nagel, Michael" <Michael.Nagel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Apr 2004 16:40:36 +0200

Hello Jan,

> From: jan gillis [mailto:jan.gillis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx]
> [...] For soldering purposes, it would
> be preferred to
> make use of thermal reliefs for the ground vias. But I wonder
> what would be
> the influence of the pin-to-ground plane impedance. Can
> anyone provide some
> guideline for this purpose?

I never did any simulations in this direction, but I *feel*
that a connection without thermal reliefs would be better.
This is not founded on simulation results, however.

What is the size of the vias you use? Using relatively small
vias the soldering process can easily be adopted to provide
a high yield without thermal reliefs. We had/have several boards
designed in this way.

I am also interested in simulation results ...

Best regards,
Michael

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: