[SI-LIST] s-param validity response from company

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Dec 2011 16:46:23 +0000

Hello Megan,

In this case one should use a tool that can find reasonably accurate causal and
passive approximation to a given model. HL Touchstone Viewer/Transformer for
example would allow you to find rational polynomial approximation, compare the
resulted dependences to the original ones, in different views, for every
selected matrix components. If you are not satisfied, there are a number of
parameters you can vary to modify the fitting algorithm, like selecting higher
or lower accuracy, allow higher or lower Q-factor (to cope with insufficient
resolution) etc. After all, you can enforce passivity, by pressing a single
button, and depending on your goal, save the result as PLS (fitted pole file),
export it as SPICE equivalent circuit, or convert it to another sampled
S-parameters, with any resolution and frequency bounds you desire.

If your data is not under NDA, I can try to do this for you.

Vladimir

From: Megan Pecheny
<Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx<mailto:Megan.Pecheny@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2011 10:52:08 -0600

Subject: [SI-LIST] s-param validity response from company

So what does a person do when they get a response like this from the company
supplying the s-parameter?  I let them know that their models weren't causal I
was questioning the validity of their model:

"The two models that you received were created from measured data.  While test
points, board traces and cables are calibrated out of the data we provide the
inhomogeneity of the PCB material, bends in the cables, etc can cause
passivity/causality violations in the data which can not be corrected.  When we
model our products you will not see these effects in the S-parameter data but
we do not have modeled data for these parts only test data."

Thank you,

Megan Pecheny

Daktronics

Hardware Design Engineer