[SI-LIST] Re: some questions about a PCB test coupon to measure the impedance curve and crosstalk curve

  • From: "C.C. Hwang" <cchwang2013@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Tom Dagostino <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 6 May 2015 16:38:04 -0700

Hi Tom,
The 100 ohm trace pulls up the 85 ohm DUT, so the embedded 85 ohm DUT
appears as flat 87 ohm. If we cascade multiple 85 ohm DUT, we will see
more clearly the impedance rise that is caused by attenuation. This
example just shows that TDR or improper de-embedding will give you 87 ohm
in this case when the actual DUT is 85 ohm.

See Pages 10-13 of http://ataitec.com/test/In-Situ_De-embedding.pdf for
some examples of how well In-Situ De-embedding (ISD) tunes out bad
launches. If you send me data offline, we can go through them, too.

Ching-Chao Huang

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 11:29 AM, Tom Dagostino <tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

C.C.

This data looks like it was derived from simulations. The transitions
from the start of the data and at the junctions of the different impedances
have no aberrations at all. And I see differences in the 85 Ohm section.
When it is imbedded between the two 100 Ohm segments its impedance is
essentially flat over its length. When it is pulled out it has a change of
1 Ohm over its length. Whereas both 100 Ohm sections have a 1 Ohm change.
Why the difference? If it has enough losses to show a 1 Ohm change of
impedance in one plot I would expect to see it in the other.

Do you have any data that shows results where the ringing of the launch
continues to the DUT section? As you said, tune out bad launches?

Tom Dagostino

Teraspeed Labs

9999 SW Wilshire Street

Suite 102