[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V5 #307

  • From: "Russell Rapport" <rrapport@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 14:08:12 -0500

=20

Russell Rapport
Senior Design Engineer II
Staktek
512-454-9531 x224 voice
512-454-9409 fax
NOTICE:  This electronic transmission (and any attached document)
contains information that is considered Staktek confidential or
privileged. It is intended only for the person to whom it is addressed.
Use of this information is controlled by our duly executed
Non-Disclosure Agreement (on file). Unauthorized use, disclosure,
copying, or distribution of this transmission (and any attached
document) is strictly prohibited and may expose you to legal liability.
If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately
notify me by telephone.
=20

Sent: Friday, August 05, 2005 11:22 AM
To: si-list digest users
Subject: si-list Digest V5 #307

si-list Digest  Fri, 05 Aug 2005        Volume: 05  Issue: 307

In This Issue:
        #1:     From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Return Path
        #2:     From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
        #3:     From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>
        #4:     From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>
        #5:     From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: Package modeling tools
        #6:     From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
                Subject: [SI-LIST] Re: ESD strips on board edge
        #7:     From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>
        #8:     From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Msg: #1 in digest
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 00:24:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>

Steve and Abhijit,

=20

Once again Thanks for clarifying my doubts.

=20

The formula for Capacitance calculation for Stripline configuration is
as follows (pF/inch);

=20

C =3D 1.4 * Er / ln [ 2.4 * (b / w)]  =20

=20

Where b =3D total height of Dielectric between the Plane Layer and w is
the width of Trace.=20

=20
Generally we take the height between the Plane layers (return current
path) as the b in the capacitance calculation. But as per your mail if
the nearby conductors also act as a return current, what dielectric
height I should consider while calculating the Capacitance.

Thanks,

Darshan Mehta

=20

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Darshan, Abhijit, I find Dr. Bogatin's book "Signal Integrity
Simplified"=20
is an excellent text that presents the material clearly without losing=20
technical accuracy. It belongs right up there with other excellent books

such as those by Dr. Johnson, Dally & Poulton, Young, and Hall. And I am

not just saying that because it features Teraspeed's development of
"Final=20
Inch" for Samtec.

Abhijit is correct. Any conductor is a better wave guide than=20
dielectric. Either provide conductors to supply the return path by=20
intention, or your signals will find other conductors on their own.

Steve.

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 00:31:17 -0700
From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Darshan, please read Dr. Bogatin's book thoroughly.  He demonstrates:
1. That all closed form formulas for wave guide impedance are=20
approximations with limited accuracy over finite ranges.
2. Line to line coupling for several configurations.
3. That to get a really accurate answer you need to use a field solver.

Steve.
At 12:24 AM 8/5/2005 -0700, Darshan Mehta wrote:

>Steve and Abhijit,<?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D=20
>"urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />
>

>Once again Thanks for clarifying my doubts.
>

>The formula for Capacitance calculation for Stripline configuration is
as=20
>follows (pF/inch);
>

>C =3D 1.4 * Er / ln [ 2.4 * (b / w)]
>

>Where b =3D total height of Dielectric between the Plane Layer and w is
the=20
>width of Trace.
>

>Generally we take the height between the Plane layers (return current=20
>path) as the b in the capacitance calculation. But as per your mail if
the=20
>nearby conductors also act as a return current, what dielectric height
I=20
>should consider while calculating the Capacitance.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Darshan Mehta
>

>steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Darshan, Abhijit, I find Dr. Bogatin's book "Signal Integrity
Simplified"
>is an excellent text that presents the material clearly without losing
>technical accuracy. It belongs right up there with other excellent
books
>such as those by Dr. Johnson, Dally & Poulton, Young, and Hall. And I
am
>not just saying that because it features Teraspeed's development of
"Final
>Inch" for Samtec.
>
>Abhijit is correct. Any conductor is a better wave guide than
>dielectric. Either provide conductors to supply the return path by
>intention, or your signals will find other conductors on their own.
>
>Steve.
>At 11:53 PM 8/4/2005 -0700, Abhijit Mahajan wrote:
> >Darshan
> >
> >Nearby signals traces can also act as return path. One possible way
> >improve return path situation (on two layer boards) is to use
coplanar
> >waveguide configuration. It can be useful for two layer boards having
=3D
> >high
> >speed traces, and also when the board thickness is on the higher
side.=3D20

> >BTW, I haven't read this book but it certainly sounds like a good one
=3D
> >since
> >it got you thinking so much on return currents!
> >
> >Abhijit.
> >=3D20

------------------------------

Msg: #3 in digest
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 01:07:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Darshan Mehta <darshanmehta2k@xxxxxxxxx>

Steve,

=20

Now I understood why calculation does not give correct answer and field
solvers are used for Impedance calculation.

=20

Could you please tell me which book I should refer to know more about
"How the field Solver works", I am really keen to know about field
solvers.=20

=20

Thanks,

Darshan Mehta

steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20
   Darshan, Abhijit, I find Dr. Bogatin's book "Signal Integrity
Simplified"=20
   is an excellent text that presents the material clearly without
losing=20
   technical accuracy. It belongs right up there with other excellent
books=20
   such as those by Dr. Johnson, Dally & Poulton, Young, and Hall. And I
am=20
   not just saying that because it features Teraspeed's development of
"Final=20
   Inch" for Samtec.

   Abhijit is correct. Any conductor is a better wave guide than=20
   dielectric. Either provide conductors to supply the return path by=20
   intention, or your signals will find other conductors on their own.

   Steve.=20
   At 11:53 PM 8/4/2005 -0700, Abhijit Mahajan wrote:=20
> [...]
   >=20
   >Steve.=20
   >At 10:31 PM 8/4/2005 -0700, Darshan Mehta wrote:=20
   > >Hello Experts,=20
   > >=20
   > >=20
   > >=20
   > >I have a question on return current. I was going through the
book=3D20=20
   > >"Signal Integrity Simplified" and came to know that return current
path =3D=20
   >=20
   > >can be a Power Plane or Ground Plane. I am still confused about
return=3D20=20
   > >path. Let me describe what I understood.=20
   > >=20
   > >=20
   > >=20
   > >The Signal Path is the active path and the Electric field from
Signal=3D20=20
   > >will terminate in the return path. The Magnetic field will form
a=3D20=20
   > >circular loop around the signal and it will be coupled with return
path =3D=20
   >=20
   > >so that equal and opposite current will flow in return path.
Normally=3D20=20
> [...]
   >=20
   >or to administer your membership from a web page, go to:=20
   >//www.freelists.org/webpage/si-list=20
   >=20
   >For help:=20
   >si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the Subject field=20
   >=20
   >List FAQ wiki page is located at:=20
   > http://si-list.org/wiki/wiki.pl?Si-List_FAQ=20
   >=20
   >List technical documents are available at:=20
   > http://www.si-list.org=20
   >=20
   >List archives are viewable at:=20
   > //www.freelists.org/archives/si-list=20
   >or at our remote archives:=20
   > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/si-list/messages=20
   >Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are viewable at:=20
   > http://www.qsl.net/wb6tpu=20

Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around=20

Msg: #4 in digest
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 08:38:09 -0400
From: Istvan Novak <istvan.novak@xxxxxxx>

Darshan,

An excellent book on field solvers is:

Daniel Swanson, Wolfgang Hoefer: Microwave Circuit Modeling using=20
Electromagnetic Field Simulation. Artech House, 2003.

Regards,

Istvan Novak
SUN Microsystems

Darshan Mehta wrote:

>Steve,
>
>=20
>
>Now I understood why calculation does not give correct answer and field
solvers are used for Impedance calculation.

>=20
>
>Could you please tell me which book I should refer to know more about
"How the field Solver works", I am really keen to know about field
solvers.=20

>=20
>
>Thanks,
>
>Darshan Mehta
>

>steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>Darshan, please read Dr. Bogatin's book thoroughly.  He demonstrates:
>
>1. That all closed form formulas for wave guide impedance are
approximations with limited accuracy over finite ranges.
>2. Line to line coupling for several configurations.
>3. That to get a really accurate answer you need to use a field solver.
>
>Steve.
>At 12:24 AM 8/5/2005 -0700, Darshan Mehta wrote:
>
>Steve and Abhijit,<?xml:namespace prefix =3D o ns =3D
>
>=20
>
>Once again Thanks for clarifying my doubts.
>
>=20
>
>The formula for Capacitance calculation for Stripline configuration is
as follows (pF/inch);

>=20
>
>C =3D 1.4 * Er / ln [ 2.4 * (b / w)]  =20
>
>=20
>
>Where b =3D total height of Dielectric between the Plane Layer and w is
the width of Trace.=20

>=20
>Generally we take the height between the Plane layers (return current
path) as the b in the capacitance calculation. But as per your mail if
the nearby conductors also act as a return current, what dielectric
height I should consider while calculating the Capacitance.

>Thanks,
>
>Darshan Mehta
>
>=20
>

>steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:=20
>   Darshan, Abhijit, I find Dr. Bogatin's book "Signal Integrity
Simplified"=20
>   is an excellent text that presents the material clearly without
losing=20
>   technical accuracy. It belongs right up there with other excellent
books=20
>   such as those by Dr. Johnson, Dally & Poulton, Young, and Hall. And
I am=20
> [...]

>   > >=20
>   > >=20
>   > >The Signal Path is the active path and the Electric field from
Signal=3D20=20
>   > >will terminate in the return path. The Magnetic field will form
a=3D20=20
>   > >circular loop around the signal and it will be coupled with
return path =3D=20
>   >=20
>   > >so that equal and opposite current will flow in return path.
Normally=3D20=20
>   > >if we have Power Plane or Ground place, the return path will be
easy to =3D=20
>   >=20
>   > >find out. Let's assume, if we have a 2 layer board with no copper
shape =3D=20
>   >=20
>   > >drawn on it, how to find the return path for the signal? Please

------------------------------

Msg: #5 in digest
From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:51:40 -0600

Ambr -
Search the SI list archives.  Lots of information on this subject.
Ken

From: "Ken Cantrell" <Ken.Cantrell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 07:56:23 -0600

Another simple thing to do (for plastic hand-held units) is metallize
the
inside, and tongue-and-groove the mating halves.  This keeps a lot of
the
events from entering the enclosure in the first place.
Ken

Date: Fri, 5 Aug 2005 08:58:53 -0500
From: "Curt McNamara" <CurtM@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Doug Smith said:
>Beware of static charge building up on this path when the board is
not=3D20
>in a system by charge induction by nearby charges. This can create =
a=3D20
>destructive ESD event where there would have been none except for
the=3D20
>presence of the ESD ring unless there is a conducting path between
the=3D20
>board and the ring.

An excellent point and shows the need to examine configurations. In the
cases I talked about the board was installed in its package or
connector.
In this case, with the guard ring located where ESD could enter, and the
guard ring is coupled to metal in a way that does not conduct energy
through circuitry, then it is useful.

For a board assembly not connected into a package or connector we assume
that for some distance it will be transported by hand through air.
Most=3D20
all add-in boards recommend (and some even include) guard straps to make
sure the installer does not have a static charge build-up.

There are many cases where these assumptions about installation break
down
-- we are building a large instrument rack for a customer where =
trays=3D20
get installed by hand with test devices on them. A number of precautions
have been taken to ensure no charge is accumulated on the tray as it is
transported and inserted. Still, the devices internal to the tray have
circuit elements which terminate in a connector. Since we can't ensure
that no charge exists on these traces we have treated every line =
with=3D20
ESD protection devices.

Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2005 09:19:44 -0700
From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>

Ken, I prefer carbon coatings, but the principle is the same.

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org