[SI-LIST] Re: si-list Digest V5 #299

  • From: "Dmitriev-Zdorov, Vladimir" <vladimir_dmitriev-zdorov@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 08:50:15 -0700

Hi Ivan,
I put the derivation of the formula into the Word file attached.
(Sorry for inconvenience but I needed an Equation Editor)

Vladimir

Msg: #12 in digest
Date: Tue, 2 Aug 2005 11:30:33 +0800 (CST)
From: Ivan Zhang <ivan_zju@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [SI-LIST] Question on Obtaining Z parameter through VNA

Dear all.
I got to know this method by chance, however, the author of the paper
doesn't mention how to deduce this formula. Thus, hope someone can
help me. Thanks in advance.

              port1                port2
                 +     |               +

                       Z dut

                 _     |               _

The SMA for port1 is very close to DUT as well as the SMA for port2. Get
the S21 through 2-port s-parameter measurement, then calculate Zdut
according to the formula shows below.
       S21 = Zdut/(Zdut + Zo/2)
Zo is the impedance of VNA, it's 50 ohms in general.

Best Regards

Ivan

-- Type: application/msword
-- File: S-Z-parameters.doc