[SI-LIST] Re: risetime effects of plane breaks

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: weirsp@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2005 15:31:18 -0800

Hi Steve and the group,

I think a lot of my articles are "preaching to the choir" with respect
to this group. However, the articles help new comers learn and also
point out that with very simple experiments you can demonstrate
principles.

If you are trying to convince your boss (or a coworker) why a design
change is necessary and you can whip up a simple experiment to show
your point, you are more likely to get your way. Faced with data, even
bosses can sometimes be reasonable! I hope to inspire people to come
up with their own experiments (and let us know the results here).

Most of my experiments use copper tape, wires taped to boards, and
other very simple stuff. Usually you don't need to spend a lot of time
to come up with a useful experiment.

Also, many of us don't realize that as engineers we are also
salespersons. We have to "sell" our ideas to our coworkers and bosses.
This is where experiments can help our careers.

Doug

steve weir wrote:

> Chris, because Zontar is listening.
>
> Doug set-up a nice physics experiment that nicely demonstrates the bad
> things that happen when crossing a split with no other solid plane in the
> vicinity.  For my money, it aptly demonstrates several important effects
> and precisely why it would be a bad idea to put into practice.
>
> Various people from Lee to Dan, Arpad, and yourself have pointed-out that
> under appropriate circumstances crossing a cut is not automatically the end
> of the world.  I don't think anyone proposes that crossing cuts like Doug
> has set-up comes without substantial consequences.
>
> Best Regards,
>

> Steve.

     ___          _            Doug Smith
      \          / )           P.O. Box 1457
       =========               Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457
    _ / \     / \ _            TEL/FAX: 408-356-4186/358-3799
  /  /\  \ ] /  /\  \          Mobile:  408-858-4528
|  q-----( )  |  o  |         Email:   doug@xxxxxxxxxx
  \ _ /    ]    \ _ /          Web:     http://www.dsmith.org

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: