[SI-LIST] Re: one question for HSPICE and IBIS_AMI

  • From: Scott McMorrow <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 12:16:52 -0400

Todd
Your analogy is interesting and telling.

    * The driver of an automobile - the end customer - does not need to
      know the details of the control systems used in the engine.  He
      has implicit trust in the integrity of the manufacturer and
      regulatory agencies involved in the manufacture of automobiles.
          o The ISP that consumes an internet router - the end consumer
            - does not need to know the details of the design of the
            router.  He has implicit trust in the integrity of the
            manufacturer and regulatory agencies involved in the
            manufacture of electronic equipment.

    * The designers of the automobile engine - the engineers - need to
      know all that is necessary regarding their use of DA software
      (FEM, CFD and other modeling software) to insure that the design
      is reliable and meets all safety and regulatory compliance
      specifications.  To do this, the engineer must have explicit trust
      in the physics involved and the ability of the software tools used
      to model the physics of electronics, mechanics, and engine dynamics.
          o The designers of the internet router - the engineers - need
            to know all that is necessary regarding their use of EDA
            software (modelers, solvers, simulators) to insure the
            design is reliable and meets all regulatory compliance
            specifications.To do this, the engineer must have explicit
            trust in the physics involved and the ability of the
            software tools used to model the physics of the electronic
            circuit being developed.

    * The designers of the DA/EDA software - the software developers -
      need to be able to design and create software that meets the needs
      of engineers to model and simulate the physics of real things.  It
      is the DA developer's responsibility to provide the proofs that
      allow engineers to develop explicit trust that the software does
      indeed correctly model the physics required for a particular
      application.

You equated the designers of electronic systems with drivers of
automobiles.  That is not correct.  Designers of electronic systems are
equivalent to the designers of automotive systems.  Do either need to
know the exact details of the algorithms being used?  No.  However, they
do need to know enough of the details, and be given the necessary
"proofs",  to develop explicit trust in the software that they use to
accomplish the goal of developing implicit trust with the true end
users.  In lieu of those proofs, engineers themselves must perform the
due diligence necessary to develop explicit trust in the tools they
choose, since they truly have the most liability in the development chain.

In the world of the automobile, as it is in electronic systems, and even
physics itself,  the proof that the DA/EDA tools work correctly is the
domain of metrology - measurement correlation to modeling and
simulation.  An interesting example of this is in modern day Formula 1
racing.  Every Formula 1 Teams uses Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD)
to develop the aerodynamics packages.  Most teams utilize a combination
of CFD for design, and wind tunnel testing for verification and further
tuning.  Adrian Newey, chief aerodynamicist for Red Bull racing,
utilizes a combination of Ansys CFD software, and wind tunnel testing to
validate and tune the results.  On the other end of the spectrum, Neck
Wirth, the technical director for the Virgin Racing team, uses as
CFD-only approach to aerodynamics package design to limit the total
development costs.

In the end, at this years Australian Grand Prix, the leading Red Bull
Racing entry qualified at a lap time of 1m 23.5s, and finished First.
The fastest Virgin Racing entry qualifed at 1m 30.8s, and finished 14th
in a field of 24.  There was about a 9% difference between the two cars
during qualifying that translated to about a 7.5% difference in the
final result.

The Virgin team trusts their CFD modeling tools.

The Red Bull trusts their CFD modeling tools, but verifies them with
extensive wind tunnel testing.

I have a policy that I've enforced for many many years.  I do not trust
any EDA modeling and simulation software, until it is proven to have
been verified against measurements.  Since most EDA vendors to not feel
it important to provide correlation data, I generally end up doing this
myself.

With respect to the subject at hand, HSPICE and IBIS-AMI co-simulation,
it's certainly possible to do, and suffers from the same issues as
IBIS-AMI with respect to non-linear driver behavior.

best regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed® is the registered service mark of

On 4/5/2011 10:05 AM, Todd Westerhoff wrote:
> Arpad,
>
> I guess it depends on how you look at it.  Those of us close to AMI know
> that the analysis runs in two phases - network characterization and
> channel simulation, and that different parts of an IBIS-AMI model are used
> for each phase.  The analog part of an IBIS-AMI model is used for network
> characterization and the algorithmic part of the model is used for channel
> simulation.  If your point is that a HSPICE transistor model can't be used
> in a channel simulation, you're certainly correct.
>
> I think most users want to bring models into their projects and run
> simulations without getting too involved with what goes on "under the
> hood".  They see that the EDA tool runs steps called network
> characterization and channel simulation, but they don't want to dig into
> those details if they don't have to ... those are the things that the IBIS
> committee, the EDA companies and the Semiconductor companies are supposed
> to worry about.  From the user's perspective, if they can create a
> schematic with a mix of IBIS-AMI and HSPICE models, push the "run" button
> and get waveforms, the simulator supports the mix, regardless of what goes
> on under the hood.  I don't know the details of how my car activates the
> turbo; I just know that I mash the pedal when I'm getting on the highway
> and the car goes fast.
>
> We find that mixing HSPICE and AMI models is useful when an IBIS-AMI model
> isn't available and the HSPICE model reasonably models the device's
> equalization.  In practice, that usually amounts to TX's with FIR filters
> and RX's that have peaking filters with no DFE.  From the user's
> perspective, the model behaves like an IBIS-AMI model, with the difference
> that network characterization just takes longer and requires an HSPICE
> license.
>
> Todd.
> ________________________
>
> Todd Westerhoff