[SI-LIST] model to measurement correlation - (taken from Re: 2D vs 3D EM based signal integrity simulators)

  • From: "Grossman, Brett" <brett.grossman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jan 2010 10:02:57 -0800

For my own curiosity...
I've seen the term 'correlation' used a lot when considering whether
s-parameter simulation results (a.k.a. model results) agree with measurements.
I am curious as to what people on this list generally consider as correlation.

To achieve a measure of 'correlation', what I've personally observed being
applied much of the time is a technique we call "The Eyeball Method."  Use of
this technique is often characterized by the user making some statement like
"you can 'see*' that the measured and simulated insertion loss curves are right
on top of each other."  I'd say in the majority of papers I review this is the
method employed.

[*hence the reason we call it the eyeball method]

Probably the next most common method I've seen is to take a scalar difference
between a measured and simulated response, and allow the residual to be the
measure of agreement.  This is probably the second most used method in papers I
review, and it is a very distant second (IMHO).

We presented a method based on EVM a couple years ago which maintains the
vector nature of the data to a degree.  It was meant to compare a simulation to
a distribution of measurements, but has also been applied to one measurement
vs. one simulation comparisons.

There are other methods we've described in past papers, and I believe that all
of these methods have their place.  I don't think I could describe them as well
as I can if I hadn't used them all myself, so I don't feel as if I am picking
on anyone by asking a question.

What I am curious about from this list is:

1.   What method do you use to quantitatively describe the agreement between
simulated and measured s-parameters?

Any comments?

Thanks,
-Brett
Brett Grossman
Sr. Staff SI Engineer
Signal Integrity Pathfinding - Sort Test Technology Development
[cid:image001.gif@01CA9DA3.2E08F710]<http://www.linkedin.com/in/brettgrossman>

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net

List archives are viewable at: