[SI-LIST] 'low or no-cost' spice resources

  • From: Ray Anderson <reanderson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2005 08:53:53 -0800

Klim wrote:

>Ray Anderson,
>    Can you tell what kind tool can simulate DDR SDRAM termination resister
>on PCB?
>
>Best,
>    Klim
>

>>Ray Anderson wrote:
>>
>>  The cost of simulating (and there
>>are some low or no cost solutions) is much less than the costs you'll
>>incur with the 'cut and try' approach.

After replying to Klim's message a short time ago it occurred to me that
I cited only commercial time domain simulators as possible solutions to
the simulation problem whereas in my original posting I had mentioned
'low or no cost solutions'. The following URL has links to a multitude
of  'no cost' solutions:  http://www.repairfaq.org/ELE/F_Free_Spice1.html .

The list  has been around several years so some of the included links
might not still be valid and there are newer solution available that
aren't on the list, but it should provide a good idea of the number of
solutions out there.

My current favorite for a no-cost full capability Windows solution is:
LTSpice from Linear Technology
(http://www.linear.com/company/software.jsp)   and for a limited
capability (but still useful) demo version: SuperSpice from Anasoft
(http://www.anasoft.co.uk/)

-Ray Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer
Xilinx Inc.