[SI-LIST] Re: interconnection technology

  • From: "Barnes, Heidi" <heidi.barnes@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dan1_st@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 11:01:36 -0600

Hi,
I have found the Paricon material great for R&D bench testing because
this material works to high frequency like Scott Morrow mentioned for
performance that is very similar to the final solder mounted part on a
PCB footprint.  The other huge advantage is that if you have a part that
pulls significant current, the stacked column of silver plated balls can
handle high current levels ( something close to 1 amp I believe) which
means that if one powers up the device with out getting things perfectly
aligned and only a single column instead of multiple columns are making
the connection it does not melt the interconnect.  I have used the
verticle interconnect material based on fine wires and melted them
making the material unuseable.

The biggest issue with the Paricon material is in keeping it clean and
keeping the mating surfaces planar since the thinner the Paricon
interposer the closer one will get to the solder mounted performance.

Good luck with the testing,
Heidi