[SI-LIST] Re: impedance and Characteristic impedance

  • From: "Peterson, James F \(EHCOE\)" <james.f.peterson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 06:20:13 -0500

If I read Raj's question correctly, he is asking a question many of us
have asked :

How can the impedance for a transmission line be so independent of
frequency when normal circuit impedance is so extremely dependent on
frequency?

If you look into the telegrapher's equations you will see the derivation
of t-line impedances...this shows a logical, yet hard to understand,
trail to our familiar equation for the Z of a t-line.

Jim Peterson
Honeywell

From: si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:si-list-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx]
=3D
On
Behalf Of nagaraj
Sent: Tuesday, March 20, 2007 9:04 PM
To: si-list
Subject: [SI-LIST] impedance and Characteristic impedance

When I say impedance, it depends on the
capacitance and inductance. So, these two components depend on frequency
=3D
(wL
and 1/wC, where w=3D3D 2xpixF).

When I say characteristic impedance, it too
has capacitance and inductance involved. So when I say I maintain 50 ohm
characteristic impedance on my board... there may be lot of frequencies
involved in the design resulting in different characteristic impedance.
=3D
then
how the board is said as a 50 ohm impedance controlled..? =3D20

=3D20

=3D20

Thanks and regards,

Raj.