[SI-LIST] Re: how to model an oscillator ?

  • From: Parthasarathy Sampath <parthsv@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Cezary.Korcz@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:20:16 -0700 (PDT)

Hi Cezary,
   Crystal oscillators can be modelled pretty easily.
You have RLC in series. This RLC forms a parallel
resonance with a capacitor.
  Normally the values can be found in the internet.
You can also model them approx. Do an ac sweep across
this model and vary the values to get resonance at the
required frequecvy and phase.
  Suggestions:
  Keep series resistance pretty low(not more than
30ohms) otherwise it will absorb most of the energy.
   The parallel capacitor is normally in picofarad
range(not more than 10p) while series cap is in femto
range.
 Hope this helps.

Regards,
Partha!

--- "Korcz, Cezary" <Cezary.Korcz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi experts,
> Maybe this question seems to be stupid, but I have a
> problem with this =
> issue.
> I have visited some web sites of crystal oscillator
> producers, but =
> there are no information
> about models at all.
> The oscilator drives one path in a design which
> shoud be simulated.
> I would be very grateful for any clarifications.
> Should the producer provide me with the model?
> If yesthen  what sort of model are usually accesible
> for such a part?
> Or maybe should I model it through pulsed ac voltage
> source?
> If yes then how to estimate parastics due to
> packaging?
>
> Best regards
> Cezary

>  Cezary Korcz
>  Intern Engineer                             =20
>  Intel Technology Poland
>               =20
>  Tel: +48 58 348-1632, Fax: +48 58 348-1505
>  <mailto:cezary.korcz@xxxxxxxxx>          =20
> the Subject field
>
> or to administer your membership from a web page, go
> to:

> si-list-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with 'help' in the
> Subject field
>
> List archives are viewable at:
> Old (prior to June 6, 2001) list archives are
> viewable at:

List archives are viewable at: