[SI-LIST] high included message content percentage........

  • From: Ray Anderson <Raymond.Anderson@xxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2001 13:25:52 -0700 (PDT)

<administrator mode on>

I've noticed recently that a whole bunch of people are replying
to messages with short, succinct answers, but are including, in
some cases, hundreds of lines of included message along with it.

In particular there recently was a message that was 110kbytes in
size. Of those 110kbytes, there were 2 or 3 lines of new content
while the remainder was an included thread that had several copies
of a digest along with a few more messages.

While it is nice to include some of the old message you are replying
to for context, a ratio of .1% new stuff to 99.9% included message
isn't particularly bandwidth efficient (or user friendly).

In the future, when replying, try to include just enough of a message
to establish context.

It is possible to set the list software to reject message with more than some
defined percentage of quoted content (say 25%) or some maximum number of quoted
lines. This option hasn't been set at this time, and I'd prefer not to have
arbritrary limits enforced by the software when just a little thought by the
users can accomplish the same goal.

<administrator mode off>

Thanks,

-Ray Anderson