[SI-LIST] Re: crystal oscillator spice simulation

  • From: "Mike Monett" <vya-4l0j@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 10:51:02 -0400

  Hello Canes,

  Sorry forthe dupe. I sent the original the wrong address.

  >Hi all,

  > I'm involved in characterizing crystal oscillator  cell (available
  > as netlist).  I  thought  of  putting  the  equivalent  circuit of
  > crystal and  package parasitics and simulate it,  for  finding the
  > frequency deviations  in all process corners. I'd  used  some kick
  > start for  inductor by initializing it with some current.  Does it
  > represent the  realtime  situations. Or should we  have  to insert
  > noise into the oscillator, which mimics actual scenario.

  > Also I want to know whats the challenge involved in characterizing
  > such scenarios.  I   mean,   what   we   have   to   look  in such
  > characterizations. Why people say it takes much time  to simulate,
  > convergence    issues   etc.   Are   there   any   procedures  for
  > characterizing the crystal oscillator cells, which tells  what and
  > how to analyse.

  > I just pasted my spice file. Please look into and tell where I may
  > be making  mistakes or what more analyses I should do  to  make it
  > full fledged analysis.

  >Regards
  >Canes

  Crystal oscillators  are  difficult to analyze in SPICE  due  to the
  high tank  Q, which requires a long settling time. But  the analysis
  is needed  to  prevent  overdriving  the  crystal  or  operating the
  oscillator in the saturation region.

  A link below shows a simple method to set the initial current in the
  inductor to the desired power level, and how to adjust  the feedback
  so the  oscillator  maintains  that level.  This  method  speeds the
  analysis by a factor of perhaps 4,000 or more.

  It uses  a  waveform analysis feature that is  provided  in Spectrum
  Software's Microcap  8  SPICE. You can download a free  demo  at the
  link provided in the paper.

  If you have any questions, please post them here so others can see.

  Regards,

  Mike Monett

  Antiviral, Antibacterial Silver Solution:
   http://silversol.freewebpage.org/index.htm
  SPICE Analysis of Crystal Oscillators:
   http://silversol.freewebpage.org/spice/xtal/clapp.htm
  Noise-Rejecting Wideband Sampler: