[SI-LIST] Re: analog and digital partitioning

  • From: Todd Hubing <HUBING@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 23:42:27 -0400

Gene,

You've left out some relevant information (e.g. what/where are your external
analog/digital connections to the board, how many layers do you have available,
how many mixed signal devices do you have, ...). Nevertheless, it is pretty
safe to say that you should not be gapping your ground plane in this situation.
If the board is mostly digital, provide a solid digital current return plane
and route your audio analog current returns on a different layer. Your audio
and digital return conductors should only be connected at one place (near your
ADC). Be sure there are not sneak paths through externally attached devices or
the power supply.

You say that creating a single-point connection between the analog and digital
areas is unlikely given the topology. That may be true if you try to keep both
analog and digital current returns on the same layer, but it should not be too
difficult if you route them on different layers. You can always cut up your
power layer under the analog sections of the board if you need to. Maintaining
control of your audio frequency current paths should be a top priority in your
layout.

Todd Hubing
Clemson University
http://www.cvel.clemson.edu