[SI-LIST] Via Wizard

  • From: "Chris Herrick" <cherrick@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 20:04:53 -0400

Hello all, a couple months ago I mentioned to the list that I was
working on a wizard to setup 3D simulations of arbitrary vias. I'm now
happy to say that a colleague and I have officially released the Via
Wizard 3.0. It's a free tool that is available for download on
http://3DViaDesign.com. Basically the user can entire in padstack
dimensions and a parameterized HFSS project will be setup fully ready to
solve. It can handle any number of PCB layers and any arbitrary array of
vias. Most types of vias are supported, such as through-hole,
backdrilled, stub, blind, etc. My hope is that even the casual user can
obtain accurate simulation results without having to learn HFSS.

For this release I've made the default materials frequency dependent to
ensure a causal response and added various launching structures to
excite the vias. I've also added lots of variables including
antipad-dogbones, registration, over-etching, back-drilling depth,
plating ratio, and pitch. For speed I've incorporated a faceted geometry
option as well as various simulation options. Please contact me offline
with any feedback, positive or negative. I'm interested in how useful
people find this or any enhancements people may have.

Thanks,
Chris

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.net