[SI-LIST] Re: VNA Probing Solution

  • From: "Gary Otonari" <garyo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pritchard_jason@xxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:58:56 -0700

This is how we do most of our VNA measurements, including 4-port
mixed-mode.

Wafer probes (we now usually call them microprobes), are now available
in many different styles that are well-suited for PCB applications.
These include different access angles and lengths (to allow probing on
populated boards), as well as Ground-Signal separation (pitch).  The
largest standard pitch that you will be able to purchase is in the
neighborhood of 1250u (about 50 mils).  Although you can order probes in
a wider pitch, your frequency range will limit the probe pitch that you
can use.  For calibrating with a 2-port VNA, using the Short, Open, Load
and Thru (SOLT) technique to 15-20 GHz, we normally use probes that have
a maximum pitch of around 650u to 1000u.  A wide range, yes, but the
ability to calibrate accurately is dependent on many factors including
operator skill, condition of the probes and cal substrate as well as the
instrument accuracy (including cables and adapters).

We often must measure boards that have not been designed for these kinds
of probe-based measurements, and frequently have to "modify" the boards
to accommodate the probes.  This sometimes involves soldering copper
tape to boards, "painting" with silver-filled epoxy or drilling down to
a ground plane.  Imagination is required.  Of course, this kind of "test
tooling" will modify the interconnect measurement, and must be taken
into account when evaluating the data.  De-embedding the added launch
parasitics at 20 GHz will almost certainly be necessary.  However, we
long ago concluded that the accuracy and flexibility of the probe-based
measurement system is worth the additional work for these high frequency
PCB measurements.

Our PCB Probe Station was created to meet this kind of VNA measurement
requirement.  You can learn more about it on our website, at
www.gigatest.com

Good Luck.

-- Gary Otonari
   GigaTest Labs

Attend the GTL Signal Integrity University in Sunnyvale, CA  -  November
8-16

GTL 122 - Fundamental Principles of Signal Integrity
GTL 250 - High Speed Board Design

GigaTest Labs
134 South Wolfe Road   *   Sunnyvale,  CA    *     94086
408.524.2700
www.gigatest.com