[SI-LIST] Unshielded loops as useful as shielded ones for many uses in SI and EMC

  • From: Doug Smith <doug@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: emc-pstc <emc-pstc@xxxxxxxx>, SI-List <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 17:19:55 -0700

 Hi All,
Just posted my latest article. This is the first one that includes an
embedded video to expand the subject (one of the three I released a few
weeksago before my latest heavy travel schedule).

I took about an hour and 20 minutes of video at the recent IEEE EMC
Symposium. The videos include short clips on products I thought were novel
orinteresting in the exhibits hall. I will edit them and post some videos
from the Symposium soon.

The Square Shielded Loop - Part 5, Measurements in the Time Domain
(For Shielded and Unshielded Magnetic Loops)

Abstract: Shielded loops are often used to minimize electric field
(capacitive) coupling. A case is shown where using both unshielded and
shielded magnetic loops to inject signals into a path on a circuit board
results in an injected signal that is about the same for both loops.
Unshielded wire loops are thus shown to be as useful as shielded loops for
pulse injection.

Doug
\/ ) P.O. Box 1457 ========= Los Gatos, CA 95031-1457 _ / \ / \ _ TEL/FAX:
408-356-4186/358-3799 / /\ \ ] / /\ \ Mobile: 408-858-4528 | q-----( ) | o |