[SI-LIST] Re: Transmission lines reflections again

  • From: Yafei Bi <yafei_bi@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 11:30:21 -0700 (PDT)

Nicely explained.

I just hope all Professors in the school can do that,
rather than developping an intuitive understanding
after years of confusion by the students. :-)

The best lecturer I've experienced is Tom Lee of
Stanford EE...

best,

Yafei

--- "Muranyi, Arpad" <arpad.muranyi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Leonard,
>
> This is not a direct answer to your specific
> question, but I hope it helps...
>
> If you are a visual person, you can explain it
> to yourself by imagining what happens when you
> pour water into one end of a long narrow channel,
> like a gutter under your roof.
>
> The water will flow to the other end, and when it
> hits the closing wall, it splashes up.  Why?
> There is nowhere to go.  Imagine what happens
> when the end wall is missing?  It flows straight
> out with the levels lowering down to its bottom.
> What if the impedance is matched, i.e. you have
> an identical channel filled with the same amount
> of water in it?  The water wave in your first
> channel will propagate nicely into the second
> channel without splashes...
>
> Arpad Muranyi
> Intel Corporation

=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D

> =20

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at:
                http://www.si-list.org