[SI-LIST] Re: Translate schematic to Hyperlynx Linsim

  • From: "Hargin, Bill" <bill_hargin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <m_p_sen@xxxxxxxxx>, <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:16:25 -0800

Hi Sengottuvel:

There are a few ways you can create a TLN (transmission line) or FFS
(free-form schematic) file in LineSim.  Manually, of course, as you
describe, or from a PCB file (PCB tool > BoardSim > LineSim).

For the most part, traditional schematic editors (e.g., DxDesigner,
etc.) lack physical properties of transmission lines:  e.g., microstrip
or stripline, board material, trace dimensions, etc.  As such, most of
the data-entry effort is outside the schematic itself, meaning that you
have a manual process much of the time, unless you're able to reuse a
previous schematic.

We *are* adding some additional automation, from Dx-to-LineSim in the
not-too-distant future, but again, it's not overly difficult just to
enter the schematic from scratch, and once you've got the basic
schematic in there, you can make all kinds of changes pretty fast for
what-if analysis.

Bill Hargin
High-Speed Marketing Manager
Mentor Graphics Corp.