[SI-LIST] Re: Transfer Impedance of Regular Power Plane Pair

  • From: "Zhiping Yang" <zyang@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <zhang_kun@xxxxxxxxxx>, "si-list" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:34:35 -0700

Hi Zhang Kun,

Two things could cause HFSS simulation results differ from theoretical
results.  One is boundary condition and the other one is the excitation
port settings.

For your case, most likely it was due to port settings.  Did you use via
in your HFSS simulation at the port?  The coupling between via and
power/ground planes, and coupling between vias could cause resonant
frequency changes.=20

The theoretical equation is based on certain assumptions.  One of them
is that E field is vertical between power/ground planes.  In real
simulations, any openings on power/ground plane could invalidate this
assumption, so it is very difficult to match simulation and theoretical
results.

Regards,
Zhiping