[SI-LIST] Re: Tradeoffs of split power plane vs. multiple power layers....

  • From: steve weir <weirsi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jon@xxxxxxxxxx, si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2006 00:25:44 -0700

Jon, your question covers a broad range of possibilities.  Here are
two general cases I think are worth considering:

1. Suppose that we would like maximum route flexibility, that we
would like to route signals against any plane layer and switch
reference layers without concern.  Then, we would need to tightly
couple the various planes together across our signal spectrum.  In
the real world we can't get perfect coupling from DC to daylight.  So
first we have to determine whether this approach is feasible, and
second we need to figure out what we need do to make it work so that
it better suits our goals than the alternatives.  There isn't a
global answer.  It boils down to numbers for specific cases.

2. Next suppose that we want to keep digital noise out of an analog
domain.  To do that well we need to understand what needs to be
coupled, how we are going to couple it, and then how to really
isolate the rest.

Steve

List FAQ wiki page is located at:

List technical documents are available at: