[SI-LIST] Re: Thermal Profile WITHIN a trace

  • From: Curt McNamara <curt.mcnamara@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 17:07:57 -0500

Maybe another way of looking at this:
If you had a "narrow" temp source against a wide expanse of copper (a plane)
then yes there would be a definite gradient. Taking this towards the extreme,
the edge of the copper plate could be near room temperature while the area next
to the heat source could be very hot. This would be particularly true if the
heat source was "high frequency" i.e. it switched rapidly between hot and cool.

This seems more like a thought experiment than a practical one though. Heat
sources don't seem to work that way in real devices. In particular, if you look
at thermal characteristics of FET junctions under load, it may not be valid to
use duty cycle as a way to predict overall temperature. See IR datasheets for
an example.

With regard to IR measurement: the color of the surface makes a big difference
in the reading, and the size of the IR detector determines if you can get an
accurate reading on a small device. The newer Fluke instruments do an excellent
job of this, and are useful for debug as well as design verification.

Recommended reading:
Hot Air Rises and Heat Sinks by Tony Kordyban.

And of course thermal modeling is the way to really see what is happening. We
use Algor thermal analysis, and I am sure there are other good packages.

                        Curt

Curt McNamara, M. Eng., P.E. // Principal Electrical Engineer

LOGICPD
Logic Product Development
411 Washington Ave. N. Suite 400
Minneapolis, MN 55401
T // 612.436.5178
F // 612.672.9489

curt.mcnamara@xxxxxxxxxxx
www.logicpd.com
intended for a specific individual and purpose, and is protected by law. If you
are not the intended recipient, you should delete this message and are hereby
notified that any disclosure, copying, or distribution of this message, or the
taking of any action based on it, is strictly prohibited.