[SI-LIST] Re: The function of VBW in spectrum analyzer

  • From: "Ray Anderson" <ray.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 07:34:45 -0700

Zhangkun-

Spectrum analyzers usually provide both VBW (video bandwidth) control
and smoothing or averaging functions.

VBW control is typically accomplished by passing the signal through a
low pass filter to restrict the bandwidth of the displayed signal. This
eliminates a lot of high-frequency noise. Older analyzers utilized an
analog video filter whereas most modern instruments probably use digital
filters.

Averaging or smoothing is a moving average type function as Istvan has
described. It too performs low pass filtering but in a different manner.

Most modern analyzers coupled the sweep rate to the analyzers bandwidth
such that there isn't too  much degradation in amplitude accuracy caused
by the filtering functions. This coupling can be overridden. If this is
done it is up to the user to ensure the analyzer isn't swept too fast
for the bandwidth selected.

Zhankun, you mention spectrum analyzer in the beginning of your inquiry
and then shift to a discussion of s-parameters at the end, so I'm not
sure if your question was VNA or SA related, however most of the
comments do apply to both instruments.

-Ray

Raymond Anderson
Senior Signal Integrity Staff Engineer