[SI-LIST] The current distribution and partial self-inductance

  • From: "Kyoungchoul Koo" <kckoo1984@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: si-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 14:45:58 +0900

Hi all,

I have a question about "partial self inductance".

which is introduced in "Signal integrity : Simplified" by Eric Bogatin.

By the definition of partial self inductance, (partial self inductance is
the # of field line loops around a "conductor" per current)

I thought the partial self inductance has only a relationship with the
amount of current enclosed by the field line loops.

But this book says("Signal integrity : Simplified" by Eric Bogatin p.160)
that the partial self inductance varies with the cross-sectional area of
conductor.

It means if we make the radius of round rod wire larger, the current will
spread out more and the partial self-inductance will decrease.

Does the size of cross-sectional area of conductor(the current distribution)
affects the # of field line loops around a "conductor", if the amount of
current is fixed?

Does this make sense with the definition of partial self inductance?

Or do I misunderstand something?

Thanks in advance

K.C Koo

List technical documents are available at: